AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Exact Match Brand Term Sudden Reduction in CTR, No Other Changes

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am experiencing a sudden drop in CTR over a period of 6-8 weeks. This is an overall drop of around 10%, but is as high as 20% on mobile devices.

Initially I would assume a competitor was bidding up on our brand but if anything we have seen a reduction in competitor bidding (according to Insights data). Our largest competitor has seen a top of page rate of 95% drop to 55% over the period. There are no other major PPC players.

I have changed my ad serve to optimise for clicks, with no improvements. There has also been no change to the ad text in this period of decline.

Has anyone experienced anything similar, or have any ideas as to how this could be rectified.

Re: Exact Match Brand Term Sudden Reduction in CTR, No Other Changes

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi @Clive E,

Welcome to adwords community,

My experience says that you can change your text ads and then see the performance. because my experience say when from same ads run over long time then possibilities rise regarding decrease the clicks. It's happen when our targets are limited.  like only one country or limited services or specific area limitations etc.

Helpful URL:

http://adwords.blogspot.in/2011/04/5-simple-ways-to-improve-your-adwords.html about how to improve CTR.

Regards

Mohit

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Mohit.

Due to the industry this site operates in we are not able to use various extensions etc. We are as optimised as possible given the lmititations.

My concern is a drop of up to 20% CTR withouth competition interferance, over such a short period (6 weeks).

Our average position for this term is 1.1, it is also a brand term so the user has searched for our brand.

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi @Clive E,

I thinks : Your answer is in your question. If I am right you have not changed your ads from last 6 weeks (no any single changes) and industry have not too much competition. Means some of users are looking your ads and same ads...then why they click on it, if they already clicked or they are seeing from long time same ads.

It may be possible my reply is right or wrong. But my conclusion is due to the long time no any changes in your ad, your CTR drops.

Regards

Mohit

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Clive E,

Sidelining two points - that you have not made any changes to the Ads and no other competitor has started bidding aggressively on your brand terms.

Is it for one keyword or a set of keywords? If it's a single keyword, have you noticed such drop on other brand terms as well?

Have your number of impressions on your Exact match Brand term(s) remained constant, increased or decreased in past 6-8 weeks?

In terms of Imp, CTR, avg. position, what's the impact on Desktop, Tablet and Mobile devices?

Did you check your performance by Segmenting the data by Network (with Search Partners)? It may be possible that your overall drop in CTR is because of the drop in CTR on Google Partner sites, which can not be controlled.

Regards,
Ashish

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Ashish

Thanks for coming back to me, in response to your questions:

The main issue is around our core brand term, our brand name, variants of are both up and down in the CTR but nothing as dramatic.

Impressions have been pretty static, within 5%.

The drop has been by device:

Mobile (20%), Desktop (10%), Tablet (5%) in CTR
Position and Impressions have stayed static.

CTR is down further for search partners than Google search but not dramatically.

I have noted that Google have started to append a lower case url to my ad at the beginning of the ad which seems to be the only change, I would be surprised if this is having such an impact though.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Clive,

At this point of time, I would suggest you to increase your bids a bit (being your own brand term it should not cause your Avg. CPC to jump, but can happen) and do try different ad text, then see if it helps. May be using Trademark, Registered, Service Mark symbols (if you have) and using "Official" or "Official Site" can help your CTR to increase (what I have seen from my past experience, these small things have helped a lot).

Google appending the url to lower case - it should not impact the CTR.

Regards,
Ashish