Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Exact Keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone.

I have an exact keywork "speech therapy" but when I search "speech therapy" my "speech therapist" ad shows up and because the ad is geared towards therapist and the search is therapy its very low on the list.  Others Speech Therapy ads get higher rating based on match.  So my ad ends up in 8th and is not even the ad I want to display

The message states

Ad preview

Search Term: "speech therapy"

Showing ads right now?

Yes

Your ad is showing for the keyword [speech therapists]

The two top ads show up as follows

1. Child Speech Therapy - speechkids.ca‎
    Adwww.speechkids.ca/SpeechTherapy+1 844-804-5437
    Speech Kids Canada, Looking For In-Home Speech Language Therapy?
  2. Speech Therapy For Kids - Trouble Making Friends?‎
    Adwww.speechtherapycentres.com/‎
    Try group Speech Therapy To Help Our Child

Mine shows up as follows

1. Speech Language Therapist‎
    Speech and Language Therapy
    Call to book your speech evaluation

Can someone help me out with this.

Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Exact Keywords

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Try separating the two keywords out into their own ad groups and then applying the "other" keyword as a negative - so cross them over as negs... that will ensure that the therapist and the therapy trigger the ads you want them to trigger...

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Yvonne O;

I dont thick that the ad is shown in the 8th position is due to the variant "therapist" vs "therapy". 

The issue here - in my view - is a lower CTR and a low bid, this together comprise the ad-rank. (Ad-rank = suggested bid * QS)

I would try to improve the ad-rank by  a higher bid and testing other versions  of ad-copies.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
They are in different ad groups.

I have a Speech Therapy ad group and a Speech Therapist ad group

All of the Speech Therapy ads have the following message

Showing ads right now?
No
Although your ad is showing, its rank is not high enough to place it on the first page of search results. What can I do?
Quality score Learn more 6/10
Expected clickthrough rate: Below average
Ad relevance: Average
Landing page experience: Above average

There are no negative keywords on this group. I didn't even know you could do that.

My bid strategy is top of page.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
You'll need to work on the ad copy and the landing page copy to make them as relevant as you can to the keyword - don't use the same LP for both keywords if you are trying to distinguish between them.

And whilst you are doing that push up your bid - that is the short term solution.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My bidding strategy is set to top of page.

I'll try updating the ad copy.

I thought that the ad relevance of Average and landing page of Above Average would help my expected click through rate. The current rating is 6/10 as posted above.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

@Yvonne O

I assume this was a typo in your reply, and you meant to say: "...ad relevance of Average and landing page of Above Average would help my QS" (not the CTR)

The predominant component of QS is CTR.... All other are factors, but their proportion in the overall "formula" of QS is much less significant than CTR.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’