Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Exact Keyword and very close variant

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Everyone,

I think that what I'll ask is not possible. Just wanted to confirm.
I have an adgroup with Exact keywords only.

One of the Keyword targetted is [téléphone] (phone in english). But I want to target exactly this keyword as spelled, not [telephone] as the other one is really not performing the same way.

I'm not sure I can specifically exclude the second one and include only the first one. I think it was possible some years ago, but not now. Anyone confirms?

Wish you all a great day.
Alex

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Exact Keyword and very close variant

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Alexandre B in theory, negative Keywords don't use close variants, so if you were to add [telephone] as a negative Keyword, it shouldn't block [téléphone].  I'm cautious because I'm not sure if this match actually is considered a close variant, or if Google is seeing the é as an e, if you see what I mean.

Probably the best option is to try a short test.  Add [telephone] (or any other match type) as a negative and see if you still get searches using téléphone.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Alexandre,

Yeah, IIRC that has been changed multiple times over the past 10 years and there was also some additional option for control which was retired later.

The closest current option to what I think you want to do is to add both

[téléphone] and -[telephone]

to the keyword list. Unfortunately the positive keyword may match additional close variations and it will be up to you t exclude the unwanted ones as they come.

Best,
Lakatos

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Jon_Gritton

Google does differentiate between é and e. Please see snip below my sig.

Cheers,
Lakatos

Capture-jul28.PNG

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks.
It does differentiate as both keywords are shown on "Searched terms" for [telephone]. The problem is that I just want to match with one of them.

I think I will try your and Jon's solution and will check in 24h how things go and will keep you both updated.

Thanks

Alex

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
I'm not sure about that.

As I understand it the system would treat both as the same - the fact that we can add them both does not mean that Google will treat them differently. I work a lot in Spanish and words with or without accents seem to trigger equally - would be good to get some clarification....

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
The problem then becomes the negative with the accents would block the positive without - or vice versa

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks! Agree for the clarification.
I'm running a test and we'll have the answer shortly.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

@Alexandre B As per my knowledge adding the [telephone] in the negative keyword list can prevent your ads showing on your targeting search engine. Please read the below logic.

As I am looking that [téléphone] is the French word. So it means you are running your campaign for French speaking people. So when someone will search [téléphone] in French then your ads will only show to that particular user. But, if someone will type mistakenly [telephone] and you have put the same word on your negative list, then your ads will not trigger for the same because AdWords will match the search query with your campaign language setting.

So in other words, we can say that if we are running language specific campaign then we can put the other language keywords in the negative keyword list.

This is only my thought. But as you said that you will do this experiment then this thing will be more clear to all of us.

Looking forward for your experiment result.

Best Regard,

Om Thakur

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Yeah, let's wait till @Alexandre B returns with his findings.