Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Estimations-Reality

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,  

I am new in Adwords (4 months of practical experience) and now I am launching a new account for a friend's website. In the tests I have done with the keyword planner the estimations were 75-95 clicks,   8-10K impresions with a budget of 1,80-2,20 euros per day in 5 targeted countries. Now, I have launched this campaign with the same keywords and settings with the keyword planner, I am in the 3rd day of the campaign and I get only 8-12 clicks per day. Do anybody know what's the problem ? thank you

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Vasileios Alexandros K
September 2015

Re: Estimations-Reality

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Vasileios,

I would wait a bit longer and continue to monitor the performance of your campaign before you start troubleshooting it as a problem.  There will always be a discrepancy between AdWord's estimates and the actual amount of impressions and clicks that you receive because of how the estimates are calculated and the natural variations that occur in user search behavior.

"It's important to keep in mind that while Keyword Planner can provide some great keyword ideas and traffic estimates, campaign performance depends on a variety of factors. For example, your bid, budget, product, and customer behavior in your industry can all influence the success of your campaigns." - Using keyword planner to get keyword ideas and traffic estimates

Here's an article that should help you understand this Estimation vs. Reality issue:

There is a section at the very bottom of this article ("Traffic your ad gets is different than the keyword planner estimates") that addresses your exact concern.

I hope this helps.

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hello,

The Adwords toll can only estimate you about the number of impression for particular keyword or close to that, the clicks purely depends on your position , ur ad text and offer you are mentioning in your ad text, due to which u will be able to see less clicks then estimated

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Vasileios are you sure the Keyword Planner estimated 75-95 clicks per day at a budget of 1.80 Euros or was it at a CPC of 1.80 Euros?  1.8 Euros per day budget for 80 clicks would mean a CPC of around 2c a click, which is very, very low.

Can you confirm your Daily Budget, how many countries this budget is spread across, and how many active Keywords you have?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Cobnut,

Well,the results were much above my expectations too.
Here are the analytical results from the keyword planner:

Daily Estimates
75.2-91 Clicks
8.73K-10,7K
3.29-4.02 Avg Position
1.8-2.2 Cost

The countries that I have made this test were UK, USA, Germany, Australia and Japan,
So the cost is the daily cost and no the CPC. My daily budget is 2 euros. I have more than a 1000 active keywords.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
and today is the 4rth day of my campaign and I have 190 impressions and 2 clicks. That's really crazy

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Vasileios, unfortunately, the Keyword Planner can give some strange estimates of performance and I think this is one of those cases.  I would always recommend that you treat the Planner primarily as a rough guide, rather than an absolute and that you use experiments to discover the real-world figures for yourself.

The budget you've set and the number of Keywords you have are a very testing combination for AdWords so I'm not at all surprised that you've seen only 2 clicks.  Consider how AdWords tries to spend your budget:

If you specify a budget of €100 and AdWords knows that a specific Keyword has a typical CPC of €1, then AdWords knows it can allow that individual Keyword to receive 100 clicks in a day.  AdWords will also know how many possible impressions there are per day for that Keyword and what your typical CTR is for your Ads in that Group so, if the Keyword could match a search 10,000 times in a day, and your CTR is 10%, an Ad triggered by that individual Keyword could receive 1000 clicks in a day.  Since your budget is only €100, AdWords will - on average - show your Ad only 1 in every 10 searches in order to achieve 100 clicks.

All of the above is based upon one Keyword.  The situation you have is that your budget is €2 per day and you have 1000 Keywords; in order for each of these Keywords to receive just 1 click per day, they would need to have a CPC of only €0.002 - far below the AdWords minimum - and even then, if your CTR on average was 10% they could still be only shown a maximum of 10 times in a day each.

In short, you're asking for the impossible here.  AdWords is trying hard to spend your budget but it is so low, spread across so many Keywords, that your Ads can only be shown very very rarely and, to be honest, your chances of a successful conversion in this situation are very low.

How many products or services are you advertising?  1000 Keywords is quite a lot for most small Accounts so unless you're selling around 50 - 100 distinct products, I suspect you have far too many.   If your available budget is severely restricted I'd recommend initially advertising just one product - your best selling - and choose only 5 - 10 very tightly focused Keywords.  I'd also recommend targeting only one country initially and restricting your Ad schedule so that what budget you can afford is spent over a limited time of the day and possibly only certain days per week.

Even with all of the above, €2 per day is never likely to give you any decent returns.  Even with only 10 Keywords, you're still only allowing 1 click each at €0.20 per click and you're probably going to miss a very large percentage of possible clicks.  If you really can't afford any more, I'd suggest saving your money and running a shorter Campaign for a week or so at something like €20 per day.

The key problem with attempting to run AdWords with a very low budget is that you can end up spending money over time that has little, if any, chance of positive success.  Your Ads are shown so infrequently and to such a small percentage of the possible customers that your chances of showing your Ad to someone actually ready to buy are tiny.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
thanks for your detailed response Jon. Well, I advertise a website for student opportunities and i use keywords like interships, scholarships, conferensces, student jobs...... My goal is to have the lowest avg CPC I can get, I dont really mind for the add position or CTR. The keywords I use I think that are pretty cheap on average. The website is not mine so the budget is set by the owner. I have 60 euros per month to spend. So, do you think that if I limit my keywords to 20 lets say, I will have more impressions?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
also in many of my keyword I get this message " Your ad may be appearing with limited frequency while our system adjusts for the performance of a keyword that relates to highly popular search queries"