AdWords
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Ernest's 'Specialty Signs and Printing' business is looking for Community help via AdWords Community Account Optimization

[ Edited ]
Community Manager
# 1
Community Manager

Hi All,

Ernest is our next participant in the Back to Business optimization series. Let's welcome our friend Ernest and his business 'Signs Den'.

Signs Den (takes a few mins to load) is a specialty signs and printing company located in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada. They specialize in interior/exterior 3D signs. Ernest manages this business and the AdWords account. He is looking for help with the following:

1. Increasing conversions

2. Reducing CPC bids

3. Improving CTRs

I will now leave the field open for you all and Ernest to discuss further. Feel free to ask questions or if you need any clarification to help him achieve his goals. 

Let's together make this a success and prove the power of this close-knit AdWords community,

Mini

PS: Businesses that received Back to Business Community optimization help

8 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Ernest's 'Specialty Signs and Printing' business is looking for Community help via AdWords Commu

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hey Ernest,

Could you give us a bit more detail on your business.

Whats your account structure like?

What kind of ads do you have? any promotions you run?

I noticed that you have Google analytics implemented. What is the bounce rate of your site?

Based on the information I currently have I would advice:

1. Improving CTRs

- having higher ad positions

- more compelling ads

- better relevance between search terms and ad copy. You can do this by having a better account structure in place. also dynamically inserting the keyword closest to the search query in the headline using DKI(dynamic keyword insertion) would help build more relevance

- having inter adgroup negatives also would help

- have you tried using site links

- Do you have keywords that are bringing you a lot of impressions and very few clicks? if they are not very relevant, you could pause them. If they are relevant, why have they not been getting clicks? is it because of low ad positions or an irrelevant ad copy?

2. Reducing CPC

- improving CTRs would improve the Quality score of the keywords and inturn reduce the CPC.

- are you targeting too many generic keywords in broad match type? Having more specific long tail keywords which would have lower competition and hence lower CPCs will help reduce your cost.

- For broad keywords, you could try the BMM match type. thi makes the keywords more specific.

- I also suggest you run a search terms report and add more negative keywords if you can

3. Increasing Conversions

- improve on your website. specially the loading time!

- have a clear call to action

Other suggestions:

- Try remarketing to people who have visited your site. I believe people would be checking out competition before finalizing on where to get their signs from. remarketing will help build the brand recall.
- seller ratings

- Do you target the Google Display network. Since you business is more image oriented (I believe everyone would want to see samples of your work, which would be images initially atleast), you could try image ads.

Do let me know if you need clarity on anything I've mentioned above.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Accepted Solution’!

Re: Ernest's 'Specialty Signs and Printing' business is looking for Community help via AdWords Commu

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Shweta,

Thank you for your reply - let me answer your questions the best as I can...

As far as Google Adwords is concerned, I have 3 divisions of what I want to advertise - signs, laser and printing. 

1. Signs are the typical general signs like banners, lightboxes, store front signs, vinyl signs, magnetic signs, etc.

2. Laser is the specialty signs - where we do 3d wall signs of logos and stuff. Machine could cut and engrave signs beautifully.

3. Printing is the typical, business cards, flyers, brochures, postcards, etc.

About the loading time - I will check that out with my website designer.

Call to action - any suggestion to make that "clear"?? - I just thought, clicking that blue button would work.

I agree with my ads being visual - How do I emphasize "image ads" ?? 

Thank you for your feedback -  i sure hope that your initial suggestions will improve my ads substantially.

Cheers!

Ermest

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

By the way, my Bounce Rate is 58% - is the good, bad or what?? I  have no idea and please advise what's best to do. Thanks

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

So the bounce rate is the number of 1 page visits on your website as recorded by Analytics. If you have a relatively high bounce rate, it might be worth trying to see if you can improve your landing page and make it more attractive to your customers. Ensuring there is relevant content on the landing page will help you with this, as will providing useful links to help your customers naviagte your site quickly and easily. This link might also help you with this. 

Hope this helps!

A. 

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Ernest,

In addition to great advices above, I would like to add more about the Google Display Network here. I am not sure whether you are targeting Google Display Network in your Adwords account or not. But let me tell you this is indeed a very important part of online advertising in Adwords.

First and foremost step should be to have separate Search and Display Network Campaigns. This will help you in taking appropriate actions and optimization steps required separately for both networks.

Now another step would be create theme based ad groups where you could start with contextual targeting and include keywords with similar themes. Currently as GDN (Google Display Network) has got a full make over and lots of new settings, changes we have seen, so you can get keyword level insights of which ones are drawing more traffic, clicks towards your website. Based on that you can fine tune your campaign and work accordingly to include related keywords also.

I think Images ads as you said above are pretty important for your business which Shweta also pointed. You can easily create some of the custom moving image ads using Google's Display Ad Builder, which is really good to start with. You can choose the pre build template and include your logo, different colors, fonts etc... to target GDN. Make sure to select all format of ads because on some placements your image ad could win small slot and on some, it could win the big slot. So it is best to create all size, format image ads to be in a win-win situation. See the image ads format here.

Important step for you would be to have separate text ads and images ads. Best practices says that you should ideally have a separate Image ads campaigns. One important point about image ads is that they are generally more costlier than the text ads, so based on this hypothesis, you can decide when to run image ads for your Adwords account.

Remarketing would be something which is an advanced option of targeting Google Display Network. It is an important method by which you can re-target your audiences who have visited your site, but have not converted in the sense you didn't get any business out of them. So, you might try this.

Hope that helps somewhere!

Pankaj

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Pankaj,

Thanks for your help - I am learning a lot from what you suggested "Google Display Network".... It's an eye opener for me and I hope that working on this will bring me improvements that I badly need.

Cheers!

Ernest

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks Alys!!

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Mini,

Just a quick question - in the exact phrase listing... is it right to have singular and plural of the keywords? Like "wayfinding signs" and "wayfinding sign"... and does capital letters and lower case matter in this keyword listing?

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
Hi Ernest, No you do not need to add plural, misspells, abbreviation etc. Since mid may adwords system introduced near phrase and near exact close variants. Now keyword automatically get trigger for plurals, misspells, etc. This setting is available under campaign settings you can optin and optout according to your choice. Please do see link for better understanding how this new setting works http://adwords.blogspot.in/2012/04/new-matching-behavior-for-phrase-and.html?m=1 ?? If you will add keywords proper case or lower case both they will be considered as duplicates. Hope that helps! Thanks Neha Sent from Android.
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’