Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Ensuring word included in search term

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there!

I have a question about including specific words in my keywords...

I am wanting to get search for my service (which is learning difficulties) specifically around children/students.

If I want to ensure that every variation of search term includes either children, child or student, how to I do this? 

If I had a broad match of learning difficulties child, learning difficulties children, learning difficulties student, would that solve it, or will I still get search coming through for 'learning difficulties' only?

Also - if this is the case, does it mean that I have to put through every variation of 'learning difficulties' (i.e. learning disability, assessment for learning difficulties, testing, evaluation, etc), 3x with child, children and student at the end?!

Seems like its easier to ensure a word is excluded rather than included! Smiley Sad

Thanks in advance for the help

2 Expert replyverified_user
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Ensuring word included in search term

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hello, Margaret.

You may want to check out the modified broad match type and use keywords such as +learning +difficulties. They should match any search term containing both words and variations of them.

Periodically, make sure to run search term reports and add all valuable ones as keywords in exact / phrase match.

Here's how modified broad works: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497828?hl=en
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Margaret Y
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Wanted to add one more point to Calin's great advice.

Don't forget to add relevant 'negative keywords' after analyzing search term reports.

Especially when you are using modified broad match.

Just ran a search for 'learning difficulties' using keyword planner tool, which showed lots of keywords related to 'jobs' and 'adults'. You can add non relevant keywords to your business as negative keywords to reduce non profitable spend.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2453972?hl=en

Deepak

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
HI Margaret

If you would like to have broad match keywords in order to get maximum traffic relevant to child, student etc. then add "+child", "+student", "+children" to your broad match keywords in order to ensure that these words are their in user's search query.
For e.g. if you add a keyword "learning difficulties +child", then it will not trigger any keyword from broad match "learning difficulties" that doesn't contain the word child.

Abhishek

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hello, Margaret.

You may want to check out the modified broad match type and use keywords such as +learning +difficulties. They should match any search term containing both words and variations of them.

Periodically, make sure to run search term reports and add all valuable ones as keywords in exact / phrase match.

Here's how modified broad works: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497828?hl=en
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Wanted to add one more point to Calin's great advice.

Don't forget to add relevant 'negative keywords' after analyzing search term reports.

Especially when you are using modified broad match.

Just ran a search for 'learning difficulties' using keyword planner tool, which showed lots of keywords related to 'jobs' and 'adults'. You can add non relevant keywords to your business as negative keywords to reduce non profitable spend.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2453972?hl=en

Deepak
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
HI Margaret

If you would like to have broad match keywords in order to get maximum traffic relevant to child, student etc. then add "+child", "+student", "+children" to your broad match keywords in order to ensure that these words are their in user's search query.
For e.g. if you add a keyword "learning difficulties +child", then it will not trigger any keyword from broad match "learning difficulties" that doesn't contain the word child.

Abhishek

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you so much everyone! It's been a while since I managed an Adwords account, so I'm a bit rusty!

Broad match modifier is the perfect solution and I can't believe I forgot about it! Smiley Happy

Also - thank you for the suggestion about the keyword planner to find negative keywords! It's hard to know what negative words to put in, because if you have decent ad copy, it should discourage those bad searches from clicking through, however as we all know, the impressions with no click through are just as damaging as paying for those irellevant clicks, so thank you for helping me find another way to find negative keywords I should add! Smiley Happy