AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Enhanced Campaigns: Using Flexible Bidding

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

I am just curious.

Do you have experience with Using Flexible Bidding strategies?
http://adwords.blogspot.nl/2013/05/new-flexible-bid-strategies-available.html

In what situation is it useful?

If you see yourself using these Flexible bidding strategies a lot, would that not be an indication that everything becomes to flexible? Is it than possible to easy optimize?

Would using it a lot be an indication that it is time to restructure and make new campaigns for one of these strategies?

** I´am learning Adwords and find it very interesting.
** Ik ben Adwords aan het leren en vind het erg boeiend.
1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Enhanced Campaigns: Using Flexible Bidding

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Elja, good discussion question.  The blog post has as its first sentence:

"Have you ever wished you could apply automated bidding to part of your campaign while manually bidding on other keywords in the same campaign?"

and my honest reply to that would have to be "No".  As you suggest, I really can't think of a situation where I'd be looking at a single Campaign with a single purpose and having some Keywords optimised for clicks and another on CPA, or whatever.  To me, like you I think, if the Keywords were that different in purpose and intent they should be in their own Campaign.

Having said this, the only exception I might consider would be the ability to assign Enhanced CPC to individual Keywords.  My argument here would be that Enhanced CPC is merely a "boost" to the CPC of a Keyword when it's needed and doesn't change the fundamental intent behind that Keyword.  I've had mixed results with Enhanced CPC when applied at the Campaign level - in some cases I've seen average CPC rise when conversions really haven't increased but I suspect if I were able to apply Enhanced CPC only to those Keywords with strong conversion history - numerous and frequent - then it might be more useful.

Having said that I do also agree with you that such Keyword level options are making large Accounts very difficult to manage.  AdWords now has a large number of very detailed settings and it's becoming increasingly hard to manage the effect of change.  The best method of applying change is to only alter one thing and give a reasonable period before assessing the data.  If I have a Campaign using device bid adjustments, location adjustments, schedule adjustments, flexible bidding strategies, demographics, interests, topics and remarketing lists on top of the standard elements of Keywords, CPC, Ad Copy and landing pages, I could be here from now until Christmas just experimenting with changes to one Ad Group!

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I like their funny disclaimer hidden in an info bubble at the "good to know" section :

funny-disclaimer.png

If they really wanted to make this setting work , they would have provided a set of automatic rules that perform better and can aim exactly at a desired average position.

[Later edit] They also do not mention if they provide this "adjustment service" once every hour or once per day, since competition can bid heavily only 2 or 3 hours par day, and during that time the "estimates" jump to different values.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hah!  Wouldn't you know it?  I've just looked into using Enhanced CPC at the Keyword level - practically the only use I could think of for Flexible Bidding Strategies and... you can't.

If you try to apply an Enhanced CPC strategy to a Keyword you get a message saying "Target CPA and Enhanced CPC strategies are not available for Keywords.".  

Which is a pity, as CPA was perhaps the only other thing I might have thought useful at that level.

So, my second answer is now, I can't think of any situation in which Flexible Bidding at the Keyword level would be useful.  You can apply ECPC and CPA at the Group level, which I guess is something and makes a sort of sense as your Groups should be tightly themed so it could be argued that if one Keyword in a Group works with ECPC they all should, but I'm not sure I agree with that.  ECPC works best with a lot of conversion data and I can see situations where one Keyword in a Group might have frequent enough conversions to make it work while another doesn't while still remaining a useful and profitable part of the Group.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits