Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Enhanced CPC vs CPA?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi all!

I know that the best way to see which option is better is to test both methods: Enhanced CPC and Conversion Optimiser (Max. CPA or Target CPA), but I wanted to know how these 2 options worked for you.

I searched through articles and discussions but didn't find any post where these 2 options are compared.

If there is someone who tried both options I would really appreciate your input.

Did you notice any significant change in Avg. CPC, ROI, cost per converted click, etc.?

P.s. I'm working on e-commerce account and our macro conversion is reservation, inquiry or quote.

Thanks in advance. Smiley Happy

Best regards,

Mate

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Enhanced CPC vs CPA?

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
Hello Mate,

Enhanced CPC is really matter of test. I saw campaigns with ECPC and it helped a lot on the other hand there was campaigns that there wasn't any signicant progress in any statistic. So test both with and withouth and decide whether it has the effect or not.

My preffered way is too set CPA only when CPC bidding cost too much and it is uneffective.

I'm not saying this is the best way. Just my 2 cents.

Alex

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Alex,

thanks for your answer.

I will test these 2 options for sure, it will be interesting to see which works better.

In fact I'm already using Enhanced CPC on this account, so far results are not bad but I will see if I can get better results with Conversion Optimizer.

If anyone else have experience with ECPC or CPA, please share your thoughts.

Regards,
Mate

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Mate,

To follow Alex, I would say, both have different characteristics. One side eCPC can be implemented in New or fresh campaigns, but remember, this is also required campaigns stats. In eCPC, Adwords system automatically increase / decrease your bids upto 30%.

Whereas, CPA campaigns can be implemented only in old campaigns, which must have healthly data( atleast 15 conversion in last 15 days). On the contrary of eCPC, it will increase or decrease your CPC at maximum levels, so that your campaigns receive conversion in that click.

Last point you need to think, if you have limited budget, then eCPC is good option. CPA campaigns require unlimited budget.
Thus both can be used in different situation and case. But it really depends on testing.
--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks for your input @Rakesh.

I have more than 15 conversions in last 30 days in some campaigns, I will test it on these and let you know the results.

Best regards,
Mate

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Mate,

In addition to great advice above, I would say 15 conversions to enable CPA bidding is just eligibility criteria, I strongly believe to get better results one should apply CO bidding when conversion history is good.

Good luck with your testing.

Thanks
Neha
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Neha,

thanks for joining this thread.

I think that is a good advice, I will wait and then try CO, it's surely better to give AdWords more data/conversions to work with, it will probably make better decision than with less conversions.

Thanks.

Best regards,
Mate

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Mate,

I have worked on both eCPC and CPA based settings on various campaigns.

eCPC is complicated at times and easy at times. What I have seen is this that it has performed well for some of my clients and for some of my clients it has boomeranged. I have rather disabled it for about a few weeks after I start my campaign. With some conversion data only I would go ahead and enable it. I would rather label converting keywords and use advanced bid strategy options to manage those keywords.

With CPA - I had replied to a post way back Check The Post Here. I would not prefer to go for CPA bidding just when you cross 15 conversions. You need to be clear with this idea that Its not useful to immediately jump onto changing bid settings. Rather  - go slow, try, test for a few days with every setting. Look at which ones have performed for you and then make the necessary changes.

Last piece of advice - Always look at more history on account. Dont take decisions based on small numbers. Doesnt give solid results!

Hope this helps!Man Wink

Badged Google Partner
# 9
Badged Google Partner
I use CPA bidding over enhanced cpc. There do seem to be some unique advantages to CPA bidding. It's been a while since I wrote this, but check it out if you want. Smiley Happy

http://www.thomascreekconcepts.com/five-reasons-why-you-should-use-max-cpa-bidding/
Tom