AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Enhanced CPC error

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I'm trying to turn on Enhanced CPC for a campaign that is currently set to Manual CPC. When I do, I get the error below. However, I have no bid strategies currently running on keywords or anywhere as you see in the 2nd screenshot. what am I missing? Thanks

bid strategy 1.JPG

----------------------------

bid strategy 2.JPG

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
July 2016

Re: Enhanced CPC error

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

OK - so it IS as I suspected and you explained. I couldn't find any evidence to prove other wise. Thanks

BUT You can turn on ECPC at the campaign level, otherwise why would they give you that checkbox in my screenshot? But you CANNOT set it at campaign level if you have keywords with a bid strategy set. Apparently, I had old paused or removed ad groups that had keywords with a bid strategy of "Manual CPC" so that was keeping it from applying to the whole campaign. So it seems you can...

1. Set all keywords in all ad groups in the campaign to "use the campaign or ad group default bid strategy". Then choose ECPC for campaign bid strategy. OR
2. Set all keywords in your active ad groups to "use the campaign or ad group default bid strategy". Then set the ECPC bid strategy on ONLY those select ad groups.

I did #2 in this case and it works. Thanks for your help @MosheTLV

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@WebEminence;

It seems that you have set manual CPC at the keyword level, while ECPC is available only at the campaign or ad-group level.

Set ECPC at the ad-gropup level - it will affect all KWs within this ad group

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2979071

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@MosheTLV

Thanks - that does make sense. I rarely use keyword specific bids but this particular client likes to go in and adjust keyword bids. So I thought you had it there... BUT

I removed all keyword level bids and set them to default. Went back to campaign settings to turn on Enhanced CPC and got the same error. If that was the issue, you'd think they'd say "To use this strategy, please remove keyword level CPC bids".

Any other thoughts?...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
@MosheTLV

I'm also not seeing any reason or evidence that ECPC cannot work when keyword level bids are set. ECPC works at the keyword level anyway to determine keywords that have high probability to convert, so why would it not take into account keyword-level CPC bids. I get that you can't turn ECPC on/off at the keyword level, but it seems you can have keyword level bids active. What do you think?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

OK, I double checked in one of my accounts - let me rephrase.  The ECPC affects all keywords within the ad-group, each KW with its bid set, but ECPC has to be set at the ad-group level (under "bid strategies")

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
July 2016

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

OK - so it IS as I suspected and you explained. I couldn't find any evidence to prove other wise. Thanks

BUT You can turn on ECPC at the campaign level, otherwise why would they give you that checkbox in my screenshot? But you CANNOT set it at campaign level if you have keywords with a bid strategy set. Apparently, I had old paused or removed ad groups that had keywords with a bid strategy of "Manual CPC" so that was keeping it from applying to the whole campaign. So it seems you can...

1. Set all keywords in all ad groups in the campaign to "use the campaign or ad group default bid strategy". Then choose ECPC for campaign bid strategy. OR
2. Set all keywords in your active ad groups to "use the campaign or ad group default bid strategy". Then set the ECPC bid strategy on ONLY those select ad groups.

I did #2 in this case and it works. Thanks for your help @MosheTLV