AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.3K members online now
3.3K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Enhanced CPC Poor Performance

Badged Google Partner
# 1
Badged Google Partner

I'm running an experiment with a campaign spending around 1k/per day with the only variation being manual CPC vs enhanced CPC.

I have been running this for several days with a higher CPC, higher CPA, and lower conversion rate (coming from the E.CPC variant).

How do you guys feel about E.cpc when you ran isolated testing?e.cpc.png

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Nathan T

I don't think enhanced CPC is supported by experiments, but I am not sure. Anyway statistically eCPC is not a constant variable it could change, (based on the auction, up to 30%). So I would not test it, because, as mentioned,  you cannot keep it constant, and this could significantly bias the statistical analysis / result.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

It is supported by experiments.

I think its a fine test; Why not run an experiment to test the performance of a bidding model vs bidding model..

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Because you have no control on the increase in CPC:  when one variable in a test could literally change by up 100%  the test would never be a single variable test, and you would not be able to achieve a conclusive result.

>>"Previously, ECPC would raise your max CPC bid by up to 30% in cases where you’re more likely to get a conversion. We’re now removing the 30% bid cap to fully account for differences in conversion rates across dimensions like audience and location. This means you generally won’t have to set bid adjustments when using ECPC

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner

I know that E.cpc can increase bids by up to 100%, and that is the variable we tested. ''IF e.CPC can outperform a m.CPC.''

A.) Manual bidding

B.) Enhanced

The test is to see which bidding model is producing most profitability. 

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

How many clicks and conversions are you judging on here?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

@Nathan T;

While in manual CPC you have control of the value of the increased bid, and you can test the same bid value   over time,  in ECPC the increased bid  can change in any auction. How, then, the system could compare performance? The range  of CPC could be broad. What information can you gain from knowing that ECPC   is better bidding (and more expensive) but not  knowing by how much. (The outcome of the test is known  before even testing, and the test itself does not provide a numeric value of the ECPC range, because this range is dynamically changed)

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

With changes to ECPC bidding coming up I stumbled across this thread.

Agree it's difficult to do a comparison test in many cases.  But, I think if you have enough history on an account doing strictly manual CPC and you aren't adjusting any other aspects of the campaigns, you could switch to ECPC for a long enough period to get a general indication if there is a significant difference in ROI between the to bidding methods.  The problem is if you were manually adjusting before, you were already doing your own ECPC.  But if the account is being properly managed, then I think in general you aren't going to see a difference that is going to have a reliable statistical significance.

ECPC might have a place in an account where there's no resources (time) to actively manage it as much as you would like to.