Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Encouraging click throughs with coupon code

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

I am offering a coupon code on my website right now, but in order to use it, a customer must click through a URL that contains the code. Obviously I want people to click through my ad to get the special offer, and I'm currently offering it as one of my Ad Extensions. It is considered spammy or otherwise bad practice to use text like "click through to save" or "clip coupon" or something to that effect?

I don't want to try that unless I know it's okay.

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mof (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Encouraging click throughs with coupon code

Mof Google Employee
Google Employee
# 3
Mof Google Employee
Google Employee

Hi Fnippy, 

Sitelinks in general have the same policy requirements as Ad Texts. With this in mind, "click through to save," or "click here." would not be compliant. 

Google AdWords doesn't allow ads or display URLs that contain inappropriate language. This also includes variations and misspellings of inappropriate language. Additionally, Google doesn't allow text ads that use the phrase "click here" or any phrase that includes "click" as a call-to-action.

Link: http://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1350464

Man Very Happy

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
I think it is ok to make the offer in your ads as long as the exact offer you mention in the ads is reiterated on the website.

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mof (Google Employee)
September 2015

Mof Google Employee
Google Employee
# 3
Mof Google Employee
Google Employee

Hi Fnippy, 

Sitelinks in general have the same policy requirements as Ad Texts. With this in mind, "click through to save," or "click here." would not be compliant. 

Google AdWords doesn't allow ads or display URLs that contain inappropriate language. This also includes variations and misspellings of inappropriate language. Additionally, Google doesn't allow text ads that use the phrase "click here" or any phrase that includes "click" as a call-to-action.

Link: http://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1350464

Man Very Happy

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi Fnippy, 

Kim is spot on. As long as you make it clear on your landing page what the offer is all about you should be ok. This is the link to the policy that you would need to be working with. 

A. 

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Mof has a good point about the word 'click' in your ad. You may not get away with that specific wording, but an alternative type of wording will work. If Google does not like your ad or sitelink copy they will disapprove it and you can make the modifications you need to.

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the information!