4K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Email Subscription Modal Popup on Homepage

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've read many posts and rule pages about popups on adwords landing pages. It's my understanding that just about any popup window is disallowed on the landing page except for the mentions here: https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/175904?hl=en

For an AdWords campaign I am running, we are driving users directly to the homepage. I know, I know... people are groaning right now, but the nature of our products makes it nearly impossible to land anywhere else for now until we complete a redesign of the site architecture in a couple months,

Our site has a modal window that pops up after 2 clicks asking people to signin or signup (or you can click no thanks). Technically speaking the popup is not on the landing page since people have to click away 2 clicks. So is that OK to have as a popup? Or is that gray area with the "no popup" rule?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Email Subscription Modal Popup on Homepage

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
I would say this is not allowed since falls under the category of "timed popups".
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I figured that would be the case. But I still see many sites that have immediate popups/modals when you land on their page from an adwords click. For example "enter your email to get a coupon for 20% off all products". Without calling out any specific examples, I clicked around 20 ads this past week and nearly half of them had an immediate popup like that.

I understand that it's difficult for Google to police all landing pages, and it might be my "duty" to report these instances, but it seems like our solution is a much better user experience.

I'm not trying to justify "other sites are doing it, so we should be able to do it", but I don't understand the rules if Google continues to allow other sites to display immediate popups/modals.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello again marcuswickes;
All advertisers are equal (in terms of the Policy)!

As you said, it's hard to Police / monitor all of them, and automated tools are not perfect,... 

So if you find a competitor violating the policy, do report using this link:
https://support.google.com/adwords/contact/aw_complaint

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’