Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Effects of pausing campaigns for a month

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Guys

I have a client who is moving offices and having bandwidth issues on their sales side and has requested we pause all our campaigns until they can clear the blockage. 

I have heard from fellow colleagues that pausing campaigns will damage the performance of the account. I know that pausing campaigns isn't supposed to effect QS but it ruins our momentum & I believe it will be a challenge if not impossible to pick up where we leave off.

I recommended to the client that instead of pausing we dramatically reduce the budget. He agreed to reduce the budgets but now we are spending less then $5 a day. 

I'm wondering what you guys what do in this situation or if you have come across this or something similar.

Do you think we should just pause all the campaigns?

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

>>"I recommended to the client that instead of pausing we dramatically reduce the budget."

Generally, I agree. But with that low budget, reducing it further does not make sense. So just schedule a "pause" date (in other words:"inform" the system abut the coming stop)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Can you please explain this?

"account. I know that pausing campaigns isn't supposed to effect QS but it ruins our momentum & I believe it will be a challenge if not impossible to pick up where we leave off."

1. What exactly do you mean by "momentum"?

2. How does it ruin momentum? 

3. Why would it be impossible to pick up where you left off?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Alon

This is from an account that I have been managing for a long time and I have it optimized very well. This account has been achieving new record highs in terms of number of conversions while we have been decreasing our cost per lead month over month! This is the momentum I'm talking about.

From my experience when a client asks to pause a campaign and then turn it on at some other point down the line all my previous optimizations are off. In other words my bids are no longer exactly where I want them to be. I have read that while pausing my campaigns won't damage QS or anything in my account, since the competitors are still active the whole bidding landscape changes and I am not longer there with them to see what has happened. Does that make sense?

It would eventually be possible to re-optimize the account and get back to the level where we are at but I'm not sure if the short term gain of pausing all campaigns for one month is worth it.

I would think a limited budget would be the best option but I think even the limited budge I received is not enough.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@Alon D;

AdWords is a kind of system which prefers a steady state and gradual changes. Sudden / step changes cause the system a transition period once the campaign re-launch. I for high spend campaigns, I would either stop the campaign gradually, or lower the budget, but I would not pause the campaign completely.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner

"...since the competitors are still active the whole bidding landscape changes and I am not longer there with them to see what has happened. Does that make sense?"

Absolutely! If you have worked hard to carve out your market share, then completely disappear from the marketplace, any competitor paying attention is going to have a field day. Smiley Happy Once they see an opening, exploit it, and see results - They may increase their budgets to capitalize on the situation. Then when you come back in, even if you still have a better overall adrank, the competitor(s) may keep fighting for the most profitable position, because now they know how profitable it can be. Where as before you were always in that position, so they had no point of reference.

If you could, at a minimum - Protect your brand, and perhaps have a landing page that explains the situation on site.

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey @MosheTLV,

1. Can you please explain why you think AdWords prefers a steady state? Does any documentation cite this?

2. Where is there any information about the transition period, or how long it is? Wouldn't it just be writing a new configuration, something that probably won't take more than a few tens of seconds?

Thanks!

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@Alon D;

Not sure I understand;

Google does not provide any documentation about the behavior algorithm of the system. This is the common practice among advertisers.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

We ALWAYS see drop in performance after we pause campaigns foe longer than 3-4 days. So instead of pausing we simply change the schedule when campaign is active from 3 to 3:15am (that generates some impressions and occasionally 1 or 2 clicks, but very rare). Then after campaign is ready to come back again we set up normal schedule and  campaign runs as if it never happenedSmiley Happy