Effective online advertising: How to choose your advertising goals

[ Edited ]
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 1
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all,

Yesterday, Mini, my Community colleague, kicked off the discussion on SMART advertising goals.

Jackportersmith, one of the Top Contributors, sees the 'grey area' in differentiating between the functions of marketing and sales. You can read his full reply here.

Stickleback, a member of this Community, added that in the old days the different between marketing and sales was easier to see. Although he believes that today we have a better ways of measuring an impact, he thinks that “measurement without context, coupled with a desire to allocate value to the measurements is creating a confusion which in many cases is paralyzing businesses.” 

Google AdWords is all about measures and results. We believe it’s important to have specific goal before creating a first ad. The goals can vary.It can be a traffic to a site, increase of membership, ROI, or brand awareness.

How do you choose your advertising goals? What is your approach?

Share if you care! Smiley Happy

Zee
G+

Re: Effective online advertising: How to choose your advertising goals

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 2
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager

Who has something to share? 

Zee
G+

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I think the #1 advertising goal should be to win the sexiest ad reward of the year... or maybe to have enough traffic to my website so I can feel less lonely... or maybe spend that money as my contribution to Google's $37,000,000,000 dollars.

That's all humour but in all seriousness, if you're spending advertising money for anything other than making sales and growing profits, you should see someone. 

Good thing the line between marketing and sales is getting greyer. Should all be one department with people working together to make  more sales. Throw in the design team and you'll have a hell of a party.

Another 2 cents.

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 4
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
Hi christianziza,

When I saw your reply, my first thought was "it's a spam". But it's not. Thanks for your comment, very good point of merging all departments to work towards the same goal.
Zee
G+

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My first post here so hello.

I run a Serach PPC Agency and invariably the projects we take on that go wrong are those where the goals are not defined or are fuzzy in some way. If a website has a clear goal defined the whole team can align behind achieving it. Without a clear goal focus, motivation & priorities become confused

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am interested in simply increasing the number of views for a band's 70 second video "commercial" hosted on YouTube.

I am new to AdWords and trying to figure out how to optimize the campaign to achieve that goal. There sure are a lot of options!

So am I crazy because I am not "spending advertising money for anything other than making sales and growing profits" ? Smiley Happy

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Yes indeed, you are crazy, hehe... Smiley Tongue

Are you increasing the views just for the sake of more views or is there a reason to that? 

The first website I ever advetised with adwords was to generate more subscribers to a newsletter. Until I had to stop because I noticed my bank account was slowly being siphoned. I wasn't making a return. I didn't last very long. I 'saw' someone. 

Come see me, you need a check up too! 

Chris

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

thats great if your company consists of more then just yourself what are some more effective ways to start out with a low budget??

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 9
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
Hi mytime-toys

Thanks for your post and a good point. How low? Can you give us at least a rough idea?
Zee
G+

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

about $50/mth already putting out another 100/mth to be listed on 411.ca but nothing so far is giving any results