2.4K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Effect of Pausing and Re-enabling Campaigns on Quality Score

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm working on an AdWords Script that switches off and campaigns on certain days - as specified in a Google Spreadsheet. I can't use ad scheduling for this (as this can't be changes via AdWords Scripts) and can't set a bid on these days -100% (as the minimum AdWords allows for this is -90%).

I'm going to have to pause the campaigns on, say, Saturday at Midnight and re-enable on, say, Monday Midnight. My only concern is that if I do this on a weekly basis - that is pause and then re-enable campaigns - this will somehow hurt my account history and inflict on my performance. My questions is:

Does pausing and re-enabling campaigns can have an effect on the account history and thus on quality score?

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Effect of Pausing and Re-enabling Campaigns on Quality Score

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Iddo S,

There are 2 ways to answer this question.

1. Paused and deleted campaign history still affects your overall account score. That could have an effect on the QS for new keywords if those campaigns have a poor performance history.

2. You shouldn't see a change in QS on your keywords when you pause a or enable a campaign just for that reason alone. QS for keywords is mainly based on CTR. If there are no impressions, the CTR doesn't change. But there are other factors that could lead to a lower QS when the campaign is re-enabled.

Another option is ad scheduling. No scripts needed for this option. You pick the days you want your ads to run. Or, automated rules could pause and restart a campaign according to the schedule you set.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Pete!

With regards to:

» "But there are other factors that could lead to a lower QS when the campaign is re-enabled"

What other factor did you refer to? 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Iddo S
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Iddo S,

The main thing that can change is your competition. If they have improved their CTR while your campaign was in active, you could see lower QS for those keywords. QS is basically comparative. The campaign/account with the higher CTR for a keyword will generally get the highest QS. CTR performance of other accounts will be compared to the average across all accounts. If you're above average, you get a better QS.

Other things, like adding extensions, can affect your QS as well.

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Pete,

I was well aware of that; was just wondering whether where there any other factors might be hurt by that.