2.5K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Easily Migrating To Expanded Text Ads

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey all, I have a about 90 accounts in an MCC all running standard text ads. I want to migrate all the ads to expanded ads and am thinking if I could copy the base ads in Editor and then rewrite the extended versions, this would be fairly quick. Is there a faster way than just exporting the spreadsheet, renaming the column, and reuploading for each client individually? Anticipating this will take a loooong time. Any tips for speeding up this process would be hugely helpful.

Thanks!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Justin,

Referring to the below link for your question regarding the ads format migration.

https://support.google.com/ds/answer/7129881?hl=en

Hope this helps.

Robin

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Justin B
September 2016

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Justin B

I've just done the same with the accounts in my MCC. While all my accounts are similar businesses, all required account/campaign specific ad text. These are the steps I found most efficient:

1. Open AdWords Editor, log in to MCC, search account you wish to convert.

2. Select 'All campaigns'.

3. In the bottom left pane, expand the 'Ads' section and highlight 'Text ads'. All your texts ads should be listed in the top right pane.

4. Highlight all the ads, right click and 'Export as expanded text ads.'

5. Save to your computer.

6. In the AdWords Editor toolbar, click 'Account' > Import > From File... (Ctrl + I) and upload your saved file. 

7. Click 'Finish and review changes'

8. At this point I highlight all the ads in the campaign or by adgroup and add text to headline 2 that is relevant to the ads and results in eligible status. I also edit the URL paths as this is a new feature with expanded text ads. 

9. Once my changes are complete, I select 'Post' in the top toolbar. 

I think simplifying the migration depends on your accounts and ads - for me it just wasn't possible to plug in a generic headline 2 for all my accounts so I didn't explore options. I found this method more efficient than opening each account's exported spreadsheet and editing the columns. 

I hope this helps you! It's definitely been worth it to me to switch to the expanded text ads, I'm already seeing these ads perform well!

Allie 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Allie, this is great! Just what I was looking for. Thanks so much!

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey Justin, 

If you are familiar with scripts I would also recommend that you check out this script for creating new expanded text ads for your account.

This AdWords script pulls information from your SEO titles and meta descriptions and creates the new ads for you! It could potentially save you some more time.

http://searchengineland.com/expand-ads-30-seconds-flat-254827

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Oh, very nice. Definitely worth looking into. Thanks for the heads up!