4K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

ETA's not serving as often as Standard Ads

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have several campaigns where I am using a new ETA ad along with an old standard ad and the standard ad is being served far more than the ETA.  My Ad Rotation is set to Rotate indefinitely, but I still have cases where the new ETA is be served less than 20% of the time.  

I suspect some of these issues have to do with Ad Text and plan on continuing new tests . However, I wanted to see if this is something others are seeing.  So, are your new ETA's being served less than your standard ads?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: ETA's not serving as often as Standard Ads

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Google does not distribute the ads equally even when you select "Rotate" 

With the "Rotate evenly" and "Rotate indefinitely" options, the percentage of impressions for ads served in the ad group will be more even than the other ad rotation options. However, because the quality of the ads differ, and quality is used to determine where an ad shows, or if it even shows at all, the percentage of impressions for each ad may not be perfectly even. An ad with high quality may appear on the first page of search results, while an ad with low quality may show on the second page of search results, which reaches a smaller number of users. - https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/112876

Match type, keyword length, and landing page text matching all affect which ads Google selects.  Since there is more text, there are more ways to make those minor errors that can affect quality score. The suggestions on https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6167101 are more than simply editorial - I believe they reflect actual changes in the quality score calculations.  Make sure your ETA ad text meets the suggested guidelines or they may continue to lag in the rotations.

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Hi John,

I have to agree with Philip on this, the quality of your ad is the key factor that influences how many times it is being served. Also, AdWords algorithm does a lot of machine learning to identify the best ad that should be served when it wins an auction and since your regular ads have history, they may be given preference over ETA's.

This is something that should not be happening as ETA's should be the one getting preference over regular text ads but I suggest you continue to run and monitor the impressions that both set of ads are receiving and take a call basis the results.

Hope this Helps!

Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Re: ETA's not serving as often as Standard Ads

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

hi John,

In my experience the ETAs have been getting more traffic than the standard ads. maybe it will be like that for your account in the future. I think its more of Adwords selecting the standard ads coz of past performance.

regards

Zaby 

Adwords Consultant

My Site

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for all the feedback.  I have also considered that my old standard ads may be getting preference due to their history of past performance.  I will keep testing new ads and see if the situation improves.

John

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @John S

I'm experiencing the same with some of my accounts. I'm pretty sure the response to the new ETAs has been mixed across the community. Since I've only recently migrated I'm chalking it up to the history that the standard text ads carry. 

Thanks for the link to the ad copy article @Phillip B - definitely going to refer to that as I monitor and improve my new ETAs!

Google also released this new best practices article for ETAs: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6167122 

I also found Frederick Vallaeys's insight on ETAs in this article interesting: http://searchengineland.com/time-reevaluate-adwords-account-structure-257722 

Allie 

Badged Google Partner
# 7
Badged Google Partner

History is definitely part of the equation. Make sure you are giving each ETA ad enough time to accrue some data, before you pause/delete/edit the ad in favor of a new one.

Tom