AdWords
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

ETA'S and Text ads VS Image Ads. Do they compete?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all!,
We want to deploy new Ad groups only with ETA's and Text Ads on campaigns that have other Ad-Groups with image banners. If we use the same targeting for ETA'S /Text ads and the image ad groups are they going to compete with each other?. How it will be the best structure?
Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Agustin M
October 2016

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Agustin M;

The approach you have taken is the one to take, if you want to bid differently on image ads and text ads, so  both ads can win a slot simultaneously on the same page, on the display network.

I'm not sure, though, how you have created an ETA on display. When I create a new ad  for a display campaign, the system only allows responsive ads and image ads. So, I would set the responsive ads in a separate ad-group, and bid lower than on banners.

I would also  split the banners into  small, mid size, large and extra large banners, each in a separate ad group to allow a higher bid  on the bigger banners

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Agustin M,

I find it best to have at least three different ads (and different types, too) for each ad group and determine the best ad rotation to use for our purpose. You can leave the default setting of optimize for clicks, or use optimize for conversions, or use rotate ads evenly (which lets you A/B test them) or rotate indefinitely.

With this thinking, you could say that ads in the 'same' ad group compete with each other, which means the best ad won the race for you. However, AdWords is going to use the very best ad and keyword match from your best ad group to best serve the query... based on your quality score & high bid.   

Kind Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi J Clemens,

In my account I have separated image ads and text ads in different ad groups. So my inquiry is that if this different ad groups (ones with image ads and the other with text banners) will be competing between each other (in the same targeting) and the performance will be worse in this case.

Thanks 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Agustin M
October 2016

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Agustin M;

The approach you have taken is the one to take, if you want to bid differently on image ads and text ads, so  both ads can win a slot simultaneously on the same page, on the display network.

I'm not sure, though, how you have created an ETA on display. When I create a new ad  for a display campaign, the system only allows responsive ads and image ads. So, I would set the responsive ads in a separate ad-group, and bid lower than on banners.

I would also  split the banners into  small, mid size, large and extra large banners, each in a separate ad group to allow a higher bid  on the bigger banners

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: ETA'S and Text ads VS Image Ads. Do they compete?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks @MosheTVL,

You think that Text ads and image ads compete with each other? making CPC higher for the campaign? . (because I am competing with my self)

Also, would you pay higher CPC for bigger banners because they have better performance than the rest?

Thank you very much!