Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I'm really confuse about those data:

For a given exact match keyword i get:
Average position: 1.4
Impression share (exact match): 12.79%
Max cpc: $0.10
Avg cpc: $0.07

So how this keyword can get a good avg position, but a really poor impression share?

Thanks for your help

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Publius
September 2015

Re: EM keyword: Good average postion, but low impression share

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Publius,

As per Google, to increase your impression share, your ads must appear either more often or in more places.

Here are some general tips to help improve your impression share:

- Increase your campaign budget – it's important to remember that the budget controls how often an ad is shown.
- Increase your bid.
- If you decrease your regional targets, you may see an increase in impression share – but keep in mind that the size of the "pie" has been reduced.
- If you increase your regional targets, you may see a decrease in impression share because your "pie" is bigger now. To avoid this, consider re-adjusting your budget so that it'll cover the costs of your new campaign settings.

Source URL - https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497703?hl=en

Your bid of 0.10 seems to be very low to me, may be because of low searches/competition. And with this bid, it's quite possible that your ad is not showing in every auction. So, do try to increase your bid for a couple of days and see. And Ad quality or Keyword Quality score may also impact your Impression Share, so do improve your ad quality/keyword quality score.

One more thing you might want to check is segment your keyword (s) by "Network (with Search Partners)" and then check the Impression share data. It's possible that most of your traffic is coming from Search Partners and you are losing your Impression share from here. And we have little (i would rather say no control) over Search Partners. If this is the case, then try to improve it by increasing your Bid of the keyword and your campaign's budget. Ad/keyword relevancy and quality score will still matter.

Regards,
Ashish

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Publius,

Following are the ways in which you can increase your IS:-

- Ensure that the budget caps are not imminent

- increase QS on terms that may be limited by rank - Always keep a track on the QS, maybe set an automated script which sends the KW wise QS report to you once every two days. Also try finding keywords which you think can perform but are lacking on impressions due to QS, you can work on raising the QS for these terms by updating ad copies or optimising landing page.

Check / Study auction insights on a regular basis - This is a really good tool to get insights into the competitive landscape of your keywords. The dip in your IS might be due to new entrants outranking / outbidding you.

Last and not the least Raise your bids to be more competitive and give your campaign some time to perform.

Best Regards
Sushant

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Ashish,

You nailed it!
Traffic for this keyword is coming exclusively from search partners.
That's why i had a good average position but low IS.

Thanks

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Publius - I am Glad to have resolved your issue. Happy Advertising!

Regards,
Ashish