3.1K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

ECPC

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I just changed my settings and added enhanced cpc to my campaign. My main goal is to lower my CPC... has this worked for anyone? Also, I'm using it in conjunction with manual bidding, will it work with manual?

Thank you for any advice regarding ECPC!

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: ECPC

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Jaq,

If you select ECPC, Google will use your conversion tracking data, and the bids you've set, so as to optimize for conversions. ECPC bidding may raise your bid up to 30% for clicks that seem more likely to lead to conversions and lower your bid for clicks that seem less likely to convert. Basically it's a powerful automated weapon to lower your CPA and works for many advertisers.

However, this kind of automation will not help you much in lowering your CPC. That may happen but is not a primary purpose. If your business goal is to accrue the most clicks within a given budget the automated feature you may want to select is the one which says that Google will set your bids to help maximize clicks within your target budget. To activate this  option, you may want to select the appropriate radio button after editing Bidding options under the Settings tab.

Best,
Lakatos

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

The only true thing that lowers your CPC in the long run is ads that get higher CTRs which leads to higher QS. If you try to "optimize" your campaigns by manipulating settings such as enhanced CPC and others, without testing different ads, chances are you will be disappointed.

As Lakatos said, enhanced CPC is used in conjunction with your conversion data to improve ROI. As ads get higher absolute click rates in the top positions and also tend to convert more, you are not likely to see a reduction in CPC. That is not the ideal metric to concentrate on anyway, ROI is, and that is what this setting is really about.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Jaq,

If you select ECPC, Google will use your conversion tracking data, and the bids you've set, so as to optimize for conversions. ECPC bidding may raise your bid up to 30% for clicks that seem more likely to lead to conversions and lower your bid for clicks that seem less likely to convert. Basically it's a powerful automated weapon to lower your CPA and works for many advertisers.

However, this kind of automation will not help you much in lowering your CPC. That may happen but is not a primary purpose. If your business goal is to accrue the most clicks within a given budget the automated feature you may want to select is the one which says that Google will set your bids to help maximize clicks within your target budget. To activate this  option, you may want to select the appropriate radio button after editing Bidding options under the Settings tab.

Best,
Lakatos
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

The only true thing that lowers your CPC in the long run is ads that get higher CTRs which leads to higher QS. If you try to "optimize" your campaigns by manipulating settings such as enhanced CPC and others, without testing different ads, chances are you will be disappointed.

As Lakatos said, enhanced CPC is used in conjunction with your conversion data to improve ROI. As ads get higher absolute click rates in the top positions and also tend to convert more, you are not likely to see a reduction in CPC. That is not the ideal metric to concentrate on anyway, ROI is, and that is what this setting is really about.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you both, those answers helped!

If I can ask you another question... I used to bid automatically for my campaign, but I began to drop out of the top 3 spots (I think there was more competition for my keywords). Do you have any suggestions as to how I could use automatic bidding and manage to stay in the top 3 spots for my most important keywords?

Thank you in advance!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi JaqWhite,

If you'd like to use an automated bidding approach to having your ads show more frequently in top ad positions, please see this help center article on how to use AdWords automated rules. In the section about "Bids and bid scheduling", you'll see "How to raise bids to top of page bid estimates."

http://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497710/?hl=en 

Couple additional notes:

- You might also want to set this in conjunction with other conditions like don't exceed $X CPC so you have some kind of reasonable cap based on what your clicks are worth

- Using this won't guarantee that you're in top position 100% of the time. The top of page bid estimate is an estimate that will get you above the organic ads > 50% of the time you're eligible.

- Obviously, if your campaign is limited by budget, your ads will not appear every time your keywords are searched.

- As always, keep an eye on your ROI and adjust your strategy as needed to hit your goals.