Guide Me
star_border

Dynamic search and keywords

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

I read this in the help center file:

"When a user's search exactly matches a keyword in your keyword-based campaign, your ad from your keyword-based campaign will show instead of your dynamic search ad /.../ However, we might show your dynamic search ad instead of your keyword-targeted ad when a customer's search term is a broad match or phrase match to one of your keywords and when your dynamic search ad has a higher Ad Rank."

I am not sure how to interpret this.

a) is this independent of the keywords matchtype?
So, if search query is:
blue widget

and keyword is

"blue widget"

that would mean that the keyword exactly matches the keyword and thus outperform a dynamic search campaign?

But if query were:

cheap blue widget

that would not be exact match between keyword and query?

b) Do keyword based (exakt match) campaign ALWAYS outperform dynamic search campaigns, no matter the quality score and AdRank?
(I´d guess that at least would the dynamic search ad show if the keyword based ad had such low AdRank it can´t show at all, and DSA taking it´s place, if it has high enough AdRank)

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Dynamic search and keywords

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hello, David. You're right about a), or at least that's how I interpreted it as well. And I don't think the system would waste an opportunity to show a dynamic search ad when a keyword-targeted ad can't show because of low ad rank, so I'm inclined to think that you're right about b) as well.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Hi David,

My interpretation is that a keyword would take precedence over DSA when it exactly matches a search query, since the resulting ad rank would be higher than that of a DSA.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this!
Sumanth Sridhar

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hi @David_Precisera.

According to Google, exact match should outperform dynamic search.

However, I am actually looking right now at a search term found by DSA campaign of mine 87 times this month, and I have it as exact match on a search campaign, with QS 8. The exact match got 1 impressions only this month.
To be fair, I would say that this is the only term I found so far that outperformed an exact match. 
So I guess it's not bulletproof if DSA ad can still outrank the QS 8 exact match keyword. It's probably that the DSA found a better landing page?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
@Arik
Could it be a limitied by budget issue?

@sumanth
"since the resulting ad rank would be hgher"
It´s not certain the AdRank of the keyword ad would be higher, and the questions really is: would it take precedence none the less?!?

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Hi @David_Precisera

Thought about that, but the budget limit was actually on the DSA, not on the Search campaign...

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star
This is interesting! In my opinion, somehow keyword campaigns were primary and DSAs were secondary - probably because the former is a basic version. But Calin's point has changed my opinion on DSAs. Why should the ad format matter if the resultant ad rank is good enough to serve the ad Smiley Happy

Thanks David & Calin for such a thread!
Sumanth Sridhar

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
There are good reasons for keyword based campaigns to always outperform DSA.
I always considered DSA as a temporary solution or as a beckup. But I want control of my account and to know that my keywords always take precedence.
Please keep an eye on your account with DSA and check for coborration of my theory - that they do not ALWAYS take precedence

Rising Star
# 9
Rising Star
Sure! Will update here if I find anything interesting Smiley Happy
Sumanth Sridhar

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
I think I've read it somewhere in the past as well, and whomever wrote it stated the same thing: sometimes DSAs trigger when a regular keyword should trigger. But please bear in mind that DSAs enjoy the huge advantage of using longer headlines and thus using more space. So if your ad rotation strategy focuses on clicks OR if you're excluding mobile on regular ads but not on DSAs you may well see DSAs popping in.

Either way, nothing stops us from using the keywords in the regular campaign as exact match negatives in the DSAs campaigns, in order to stop them from showing when the search terms exactly match the keywords. Right?
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.