Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Dynamic Replace Location in Ad Copy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey, I hope someone can help me,

I am working on an account that offers rentals across the US. Rather than setting up numerous campaigns for every state/city or using DKI, I want to dynamically replace the location within the ad. I want to have the ad copy change no matter where the searcher is interested in, whether that is a small village or a state related search query e.g "Bike Rental Florida". I had created an Ad Customizers list of 18,000 locations across the US but these locations are all very specific and do not allow for those less specific searches.

What is the best way to dynamically change the adcopy depending on a searcher's place of interest.

We don't have Google My Business listings for every location we service so I don't think I can use Dynamic Location Insertion.

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

This question has been raised in the past. This feature is not available. AdWords location targeting is done at the campaign level.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey, thanks for the reply.

I have actually figured out way that this can be done.

I created an ad customizer list of all of the cities and states where my client's services are available. (databases of cities can be found online), So this sheet had 3 columns. Location (text), Target location and Campaign.

After I uploaded the location customizer under Business Data in my shared library I added new ads to my campaigns that include the parameter {=sheetname.locations}, this is where to location will be inserted.

I tested different scenarios to ensure that ads would show correctly. If Google knows your current location, this will be dynamically inserted. If you show interest in a specific location (different to your current location), the location you searched will be dynamically inserted and if your location is not listed on the sheet or google does not know where you are, you will be shown a standard ad.

So far I can see an improvement in performance and many of the conversions are now coming from these location specific adsSmiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I disagree that this works for, either for search by intent or by Geo location.  For DKI the search query is matched to a keyword. You could find yourself in a scenario in which  a search query without a location was matched to DKI and the ad-copy would not be "logic".

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I think we could be talking about two different things. I am not talking about DKI ads. 

All I know is that the approach that I have taken is working.

Thanks,

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Eleanor

Thanks for sharing your info and how you did this! I am working on the same thing as you. However, where did you find the databases of cities found online...I want to make sure I have a list that is recognized by Google. Thank you again!