Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Dynamic Remarketing Campaigns Optimization

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

Are anyone of you guys managing dynamic campaigns now? Why do dynamic campaigns have lower conversion rate compared to normal remarketing campaigns? I am doing both smart pixel remarketing campaigns and dyn remarketing campaigns, from my experience, dyn campaigns are lower in conv.% and higher in CPA. Could you please share with me practises on how you optimize dynamic remarketing campaigns? Or simply how do you improve the conv.% of dyn campaigns. Thanks a lot!

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Dynamic Remarketing Campaigns Optimization

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Phoebe,
I too am seeing something similar with some clients, however, I think it's important to take a step back and understand exactly what Dynamic Remarketing ads actually are. Essentially, the way I see them, they're almost like "backup" remarketing ads. A sort of catch all in a way (I know most wont agree with this). When you have a normal remarketing ad, you target specifically (usually) to that user which is usually a lot more simple.

Also, with Dynamic ads, I feel there's a built in lower conversion rate. If a user came to your site and looked at two of your products and left, then DYN shows them an ad for 4 other products that they never wanted in the first place, it's going to be a tougher sell.

The clients we're seeing the INCREASED conversion rates are those with a much larger inventory, clients that have such a massive variety that they couldn't possibly be seen the first time a visitor visited.

Not all features of AdWords work for everyone. This is just another tool to test, optimize and ultimately, if the situation calls for it, abandoning it if you can't make it work.

However, we've been able to make DYN ads work (not that we've had a lot of testing time!) for all our clients. A slightly higher CPA that's below target CPA is still profit. Don't give up yet!

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

Hi Phoebe,

I have helped setup hundreds of dynamic remarketing campaigns and they almost always performed significantly better than static remarketing campaigns. If that's not the case for you, it's very likely that you have a setup issue.

One thing you should look at is CTR: dynamic ads are customized for each user and should get a significantly better CTR than static ads. If that's not the case for you it's very likely that product ids you're passing via the remarketing tag (ecomm_prodid) isn't matching with your Google Merchant Center feed. You can use Google Tag Assistant to verify that they match.

- Maxime

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Dave,

Since I am doing both remarketing ads, the smart pixel and dyn, they are actually targeted to the same audiences( for countries that are available both at AdWords and GMC ), except that we show different ads to them, one is custom made display ads, the other is dynamic ads, which depends on the system to pick up products for audiences. Do you think there is competition between the two remarketing ads, in which the system prioritizes smart pixel and thus dyn is made out of the favor?

I don't quite agree with you that dyn is a "back up", in fact, I think dyn should be prioritized and outperform normal remarketing campaigns. Think about it in this way, the audiences are the same(suppose we target the same locations with the same budget, bidding and settings), the differences come just from ads. Dyn displays ads with changing products while smart pixel displays static ads/products, customers are more inclined to click the ads with ever-changing products, right? The fact as I see is, dyn campaigns have higher CTR compare to smart pixel. The problem I face now is how to convert these clicks.

I agree with you that not all features work for everyone, but for now I am not going to give up on DYN yet. Could you please share with me tactics you use to optimize dyn campaigns? Or, the different tactics you use to optimize normal remarketing campaigns and dyn?

To tell you more about the industry I am dealing with, our website is doing online trading with all verticals of products, like Amazon.

Thanks so much!

Phoebe

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Maxime,

Yes, the dyn campaigns I am working at now are with higher CTR, significantly higher than static remarketing campaigns, partly because dyn campaigns are targeting far less locations and the targeted countries are key English speaking counties. Conditions being the same, I still believe dyn should have higher click rate for the reason that dyn ads are customized and audiences see different products.

Our Merchant center feeds should be working well, are there optimizations you could share with me to improve the dyn campaigns conversion rate?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Phoebe

Have you noticed any conversions roll overs in Dynamic Re-marketing Campaign?

Abhishek

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Abhishek,

By saying "roll overs", do you mean conversions that are overlap at normal remarketing campaigns and dyn? We are doing url tracking for each campaigns, the tracking could separate leads/conversions and tell which source they come from.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Roll overs means conversion updating to your Dynamic Re-marketing campaign for earlier days, because the dynamic re-marketing campaign which i manage have less number of conversion for the previous day but when i check it after 15-20 days for the respective date, they are doubled or even tripled some time. It means users who clicks on your Dynamic Re-marketing today but converted after 7 days, so Adwords will count that conversion on the day when it was clicked.

Abhishek

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Abhishek,

Thanks for your explanation. I did notice that there are conversions happen days after the click. Since we have data processing system backing up and updating conversion data daily, so we are not missing these roll over conversions. I analyze data within a specific period of date range to make sure the data are complete. Could you please share with me how you improve conversion rate for dyn campaigns?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
The major time i spend is on optimizing the automatic placements and their sub pages because our dynamic re-marketing campaign was set up by Google itself, in our cases ads are not changed. For more you can look for the hourly report, geo targeting report, try using conversion optimizer if your campaign have enough history because in our case it helps us a lot to lower our CPA levels.
# Display campaign optimizer is a whole different thing so please don't get confuse with it, just use conversion optimizer bidding.
Hope this helps!

Abhishek