6.7K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Dynamic Keyword Insertion.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Do you use Dynamic Keyword Insertion? I am wondering how it works out for the client.  I know DKI increases CTR but does it short-change the client who might benefit from people higher up the sales funnel? Anyone do a/b testing to determine results using DKI vs specific static key word ad groups? Pros and cons?

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Suzanne L
September 2015

Re: Dynamic Keyword Insertion.

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Yes, I used it sometimes, some ads got the best results in their ad adgroups and some didn't do well and this is the normal of any type of ads.

Actually you can use it with most clients but there's some preferable cases like for example the following case " from my opinion" the most suitable case you could use it in, when your client's business has products with a lot of properties like shirt or shoes with many colors , you could use it and make your ad more relevant to customer search term, so when the customer include any color or descriptions within his search term , you are sure that your ad will include also this color in the ad text .

Pros
# make your ad more relevant
# bold text

Cons
# In case of long tail keywords you lose the value from DKI and your ad run as generic ad.
# incorrect grammar and punctuation, weird wording and trademark violation because you don't know exactly what the potential customers's search terms they are gonna use.

Read more details about DKI and how to use it:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454041

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
I agree with Ahmed, there's a couple of use cases where DKI is useful.

But to say it increases CTR is not necessarily true. If you're using is as such, it's a crutch and you're doing it wrong IMHO. I believe it's best to build out the account (if you have the resources) so that, except in cases like Ahmed suggested, you have a unique ad group and set of ads for every possible theme of keywords possible. It's a LOT of work but in general, it's HAT that increases the CTR (and by proxy the QS and reduces the CPC).

DKI at most is a "fallback" or a "catchall" when collecting keyword impression data to see what ad group to build out next.

Of course, your mileage may vary Smiley Happy Always be testing DKI against regular ads. I work to the rule that if DKI is getting the higher CTR, there's something wrong.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Suzanne,

from my experience use DKI only for proven, exact KW, in a separate campaign with misspellings, plurals and smal changes DISABLED!
Then they ussually have better performance.
Of course - be carefull to set up all the neccessary negative keywords across campaigns!

There is no rule in generall if DKI is better or not. You should test it for all the KW you would like to use. My experience is that DKI is better, but this could be because I use DKI when I'm pretty shure about the used KW.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi,

May be you would like to read this article which I submitted months back:

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/User-Articles/Dynamic-Keyword-Insertion-A-Great-Way-To-Incre...

Thanks
Neha

Sent by Phone
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I am curious as to why should DKI be used with the close variants disabled at the campaign (message 4) . As far as I know the DKI inserts the keyword in the Ad , not the search term , which if it would be a misspeling would lead to an ugly Ad text.

Can an example be provided to clarify ?

[edit]  ( a combination of close variant search term triggering an exact match keyword and why the result is not what we want)

I am sure there are valid reasons behind this strategy, I am just not able to visualise an example due to my lack of experience with DKI [/end edit]

Thank you