AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Dynamic Destination URL

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello guys,

I need some help deciding what kind of destination URL should I use for a client's campaign. There are 2 possibilities at this moment:

1. Use the internal search to generate the URL for a certain type of products, the URL will look like this   http://www.mystore.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?dir=asc&order=price&q=PRODUCT-CATEGORY

2. Or build that category with all the products in, which will lead to a URL like this: http://www.mystore.com/main-category/product-category.html

I'm tempted to choose the second method but this means a lot of internal work : re-arranging the categories structure, etc and I'm not sure how happy the client would be to hear that.

My question: choosing the first method will affect in any way my campaign's results??

Thanks,

Gabriel

5 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author gabriel m
September 2015

Re: Dynamic Destination URL

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star
Hi Gabriel,

This is a factor of how well you have segregated your campaigns, adgroups and how closely relevant your ad copies are to the structure. if you do the structuring right and use the right matchtypes for your keywords, and ensure the right dynamic pages are delivered to the user upon ad click, it will not affect your QS.

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Hi Gabriel,

I need to know 1 thing before I can give you a confirmation.... Could you search for a product on your internal search.. copy the URL.. then open up another browser and paste it there.. If your product page loads correctly, the way your site functions is not really using dynamic URLs. It uses parameters to show the products that are filtered.
Now, you could use this URL without letting it affect your quality if:
1. you show the right kind of results on your page.
2. the products dont change too often. When this happens, the results of the page remain the same and hence when the bot reads through the content is looks unchanged everytime..
3. QS depends on the CTRs and hence the relevance of your keyword-ad and Landing page. It also takes into consideration the load times and relevance of the page. As long as this is maintained... you should not have a problem...
Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Accepted Solution’!

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Gabriel,

I can't see any reason why there should be any difference in performance between the two.  Bear in mind that what a user sees on an Ad is the Display URL and this can be anything you like (as long as the domain part is the same).  So your Display URL could be:

mystore.com/Product

I doubt very much that many people will change their behaviour purely upon the format of the actual URL they visit - look at Amazon's URLs, they're hideous, but it doesn't seem to have affected their sales much.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Gabriel,

I will just affirm what Jon says here. The destination URL itself has no bearing on the QS. But the display URL can have an effect in that it can increase your CTR, and that increase the QS. Generally, I prefer the display URL to be a reachable page, but it's not required. You can use redirects to point your display URL to the landing page for that category.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi guys,

Thank you very much for your replies.

My biggest concern is that using a dynamic url I will not be able to optimize the landing page cause the url I'm talking about is an internal search result url for a product.
Don't you think that might affect the QS?

Regards,
Gabriel

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
Hi Gabriel,

It is very difficult to predict if a dynamic URL will affect your QS. But if you look at it logically and taking what Jon mentioned about Amazon's URL, it really shouldn't affect the QS.

But if your product or service is not very attractive/enticing ( like Amazon - who has n number of products to sell and varieties as well), it may end up hurting you on the QS. Since Amazon has the same product being sold by 10 different retailers/sellers, the user can choose any one from them and Amazon would still record a conversion but the same could not hold true for you.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hello,

To follow with great advises above, I would like to add that destination URL format itself doesn't have any direct influence on your campaigns or Quality Score.

However, if I talk from organic optimization perspective, it does matter how your create different URLs and how you want to optimize them for organic rankings (little off topic).

But from AdWords perspective, it is important how relevant the landing page is and how much value it adds to the users who reaches that page in terms of what they are looking for and whether they are able to gain that information or not.

I would also encourage you to read this help center reference about landing page experience: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2404197

My 2 cents!

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
"Relevant, useful and original content
Make sure your landing page is directly relevant to your ad text and keyword.
Provide useful information on your landing page about whatever you're advertising.
Try to offer useful features or content that are unique to your site."

I can't do that on a dynamically generated page.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star
Hi Gabriel,

This is a factor of how well you have segregated your campaigns, adgroups and how closely relevant your ad copies are to the structure. if you do the structuring right and use the right matchtypes for your keywords, and ensure the right dynamic pages are delivered to the user upon ad click, it will not affect your QS.

Shashank
Cheers,
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Hi Gabriel,

I need to know 1 thing before I can give you a confirmation.... Could you search for a product on your internal search.. copy the URL.. then open up another browser and paste it there.. If your product page loads correctly, the way your site functions is not really using dynamic URLs. It uses parameters to show the products that are filtered.
Now, you could use this URL without letting it affect your quality if:
1. you show the right kind of results on your page.
2. the products dont change too often. When this happens, the results of the page remain the same and hence when the bot reads through the content is looks unchanged everytime..
3. QS depends on the CTRs and hence the relevance of your keyword-ad and Landing page. It also takes into consideration the load times and relevance of the page. As long as this is maintained... you should not have a problem...
Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Accepted Solution’!

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
Just wanted to clarify -
The reason I asked for the first bit is just to check if you do not get redirected...
I have seen websites not being able to save the parameters of the search and redirecting to the homepage... So in case that happens, you would be wasting a lot of money on sending people to a generic home page instead of product/category specific pages.
Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor