AdWords
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

During A/B testing ads, shouldn't a higher CTR mean a lower CPC?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

While A/B testing, some ads have high ctr's & higher cpc, and others have lower ctr & lower cpc? This seems backwards, as I would assume an ad with a higher ctr would have a lower cpc. It makes it hard to determine the winner of the A/B test. Thanks for any help!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

"some ads have high ctr's & higher cpc, and others have lower ctr & lower cpc?"

No, CPC is determined by the ad auction. CTR is a factor in your quality score but not the predominant factor. Also Quality Score changes happen relatively slowly. 

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6297?hl=en

hth

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Hi Sandra,

All other things being equal, higher CTR should equal lower CPC. How many keywords are in the ad group, how many clicks/impressions have there been, and over which time period?

Did CPC or CTR for the entire ad group rise or fall over time?

Are ads set to rotate evenly?

And, just checking, are you looking at a time frame in which both ads were constantly running?

Re: During A/B testing ads, shouldn't a higher CTR mean a lower CPC?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Sandra,

It really depends on the QS for your keywords. I would disagree with Steve B, CTR is the most important metric in establishing QS. Use of extensions can improve your CTR. But it's not just your CTR for the keywords, it's a comparative score. If your competitor's CTR for the same keywords is higher than yours, your QS for that keyword could suffer.

I suggest you look at the data again, this time compare QS of the keywords in the 2 campaigns. Also, the bottom line is conversions. Is your test converting better than the control? Is the ROI better or worse?

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords