Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Duplication on Phrase Match vs Exact / Broad

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I was looking for best practises regarding the use of Broad keyword and phrase or exact match, on the same ad group.

In exemple : 

I have the keywords :

Cars

"Blue Cars" 

[Second hand blue cars]

How these keywords works together or against one each other : Is that considred as "duplicate keyword"? Are they competing one each other (hence increasing my Cpc cost)?

Can i let them together on the same Adgroup or should i put all my exact keywords on a different ad group?

Thanks by advance for your advices.

Best Regards

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Alexandre B
September 2015

Re: Duplication on Phrase Match vs Exact / Broad

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

Alexandre,

It depend, they would by default compete against each other with Bid Price, Quality score, and Ad Rank all comping into play, but sculpting, bid variations and negative keywords can be used in different scenarios.  Below are two examples you may want to attempt to work that scenario.

When I use more then on match type in an adgoup, I differentiate them by Bid, in order not to compete against each other with the exact getting the highest bid, phrase next and Broad the least.
Ex:

Cars $1
"Blue Cars" $1.50
[Second hand blue cars] $2.00

If the bid prices are relatively the same, and the QS is close, you would be competing against each other in terms of which keyword would capture the auction query.

You can sculpt the account in the method I showed above to attempt to bring the Exact into play if it matches, without worrying about being eaten up by the Broad or phrase etc.

It still comes down to QS and Ad Rank, as to what wins the keyword query auction but this give you a bit more control.

In the example above:

keyword: Blue Cars

The bid differentiation should trigger the Phrase match "blue cars" as long as the QS and Ad Rank are good,

Keyword: second hand blue cars
should trigger your exact match.

Keyword: where do I find a car colored blue

Since it doesn't fall into the exact nor the phrase, the broad match would be triggered as the default keyword that matches query.

Remember, If your Broad match has a higher bid and a higher QS / Ad rank it will more then likely win the auction over a lower bid for the exact match term

Now another scenario as you mentioned would be to break the exact phrase and broad into there own unique Ad groups and use negative keywords to restrict the other options per ad group.

Ex:
Ad Group - Exact match
negative keyword - Broach match and "phase match"

Ad Group - Phrase match
negative keyword - Broad Match, [exact match]

Ad Group - Broad match
negative keyword - "phrase match" [exact match]

Hope that helps

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Alexandre,

I agree with my friend @Eric Gehler suggestions but I am slightly disagree with the examples:-

Ad Group - Exact match
negative keyword - Broach match and "phase match" :---

If  Exact match Ad Group contains keyword [Second hand blue cars]. So, there is no need to add any negative keywords of any other match type. 

Ad Group - Phrase match

negative keyword - Broad Match, [exact match]

If phrase match ad group contains "Blue Cars", then only add exact match keyword [Second hand blue cars]  and [Second hand blue car] as a negative in this ad group.

Ad Group - Broad match
negative keyword - "phrase match" [exact match]

If Broad Match Ad Group contains  Cars , then you can either put  "Blue Cars"  and "Blue Car" as negative, Then there are no need to add  [Second hand blue cars] and [Second hand blue car] as a negative.

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

@Rakesh Kumar

The rational to use the Negative Match in the example groups

Ad Group - Exact match
negative keyword - Broach match and "phase match" :---

I was too broad in that description:

Is so that you can sculpt the account and not worry about a Bid Price effecting or losing the opportunity and I meant it more in terms of Negative out keywords that are in Group 1, to groups 2,3  and down the line so that each group has negatives of the other potential match types .  If one was to go with different Ad group Strategy.

YOU are 100% Correct in the truest sense of not having to repeat the negative if the sample were those terms.  ie Blue Cars as a negative you take care of any other match type....

Thank you for expanding on that so as not to totally mislead Smiley Happy

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Eric and thank you Rakesh.

So it's clear now. Keywords always compete one to others. That's why, the best solutions to optimze QS and management is to create dedicated ad group (exact our phrase) and not to forget to add these same keywords as negatives on the broad one.

Thanks again!