Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Duplicated Ads to Increase Quality Score

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone,

I am thinking of doing the following "trick": I would use 3 identical text ads for the same ad group, and then wait about 30-60 days to see which performs the best. Maybe one would get 1% CTR, the other 1.5% and the third 2%.

I understand that, since CTR is one of the things AdWords considers to calculate the Ad Rank, the third ad with 2% CTR would have a higher Quality Score, and therefore it would get more clicks and better positions on paid results per less cost. Therefore, I would pause the 1st and 2nd ads, and let the 3rd run.

I am managing a high traffic account so I guess I would obtain significant results in 60 or maybe 30 days.

Do you think this makes sense? Might AdWords penalize this practice?

Thank you!

Pol

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Pol Smith
September 2015

Re: Duplicated Ads to Increase Quality Score

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Pol

I think that you are focusing on the "wrong" CTR. Though Google does (apparently) calculates ad-level CTR, (which is not disclosed) the major /predominant  component of the QS is the keyword CTR.

So, I would suggest that  rather than figuring which ad performs  better, work on  improving KWs CTR

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Pol,

While it sounds like a good idea, I don't think it will produce the results you desire. A better plan is to place variations of your control ad in the ad group. Limit the variations in a single ad. Set ads to rotate evenly for 90 days. Review the performance of each ad. Keep the winner, delete or pause the losers, create new variations of the ad and repeat.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Pete!

Sure, I will try to place variations in a single ad. Are you recommending this to keep using the ad with a higher CTR/QS and, at the same time, optimize the ad itself? And why do you think it would not produce the results I desire, is it because most probably CTR would be similar?

In the other hand, lets say I have a winner ad with 2% CTR on the first 90 days. Then, when I make it compete with 2 new variations, the same ad has a CTR of 1% and a new ad has 1.3% CTR. It seems I should keep the second winner but, overall, the first winner has 1.5% CTR. Do you think I should leave the first winner, the second one, or should I just keep testing until the second has a better overall CTR?

Thank you!
Pol
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Pol Smith
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Pol

I think that you are focusing on the "wrong" CTR. Though Google does (apparently) calculates ad-level CTR, (which is not disclosed) the major /predominant  component of the QS is the keyword CTR.

So, I would suggest that  rather than figuring which ad performs  better, work on  improving KWs CTR

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Ok, Thank you MosheTLV. I'll mark it as solved then.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Pol S,

That's what I am suggesting. I have 3 identical ads in a group and test variations, one at a time. Ad rotation is set to rotate forever. This limits the number of impressions for the test. You'll sufficient traffic to do something like this.

It's interesting to me that the identical ads accrue different CTR, but the difference is not statistically significant. With each test, keep the winner. Keep testing.

This is not contrary to Moshe's advice to concentrate on CTR at the keyword level to improve the QS. Keywords in an ad group should be closely related enough so that changes in the ad copy affect CTR of all keywords in a similar fashion. If CTR for the ad is up, ctr for the keywords should be up as well.

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords