2K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Duplicate keywords

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I can't find the Duplicate keywords tool. I want to know what matches are dupes.

I have phrase matches.

Eg are

"child photography" & "children photography"

dupes?

What about

"baby photographer" & "baby photography"

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Duplicate keywords

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello greenbear521,

They are not classed as duplicates but instead variations of a phrase / keyword. I would recommend including these variations as you can see the performance stats for both terms then rather than just one of them.

If you want to quickly identify duplicates within your account then there is a filter on AdWords Editor.

Duplicates.png

Just remember to have the Keywords tab selected at the time.

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

OK say for "baby photographer" & "baby photography" once I get performance stats do I keep both? What should I do?

One has a higher quality score, but both have the same avg position so far. Should I vary bids to achieve some outcome? If so what outcome?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
If both are performing well and meeting your marketing goals then there is no disadvantage in keeping both running.

I'd personally leave them running in a decent ad position (aiming between 1 - 5 place) and then review their performance after a period of time. If you notice that "baby photographer" has been gaining success in a second position while "baby photography" hasn't been as successful in a fifth position then it might be worthwhile increasing its bid as both keywords are similar and might see similar success when in similar positions.

Just keep monitoring how they both perform and try little experiments to see if you can improve their overall performance.

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello,

Just a small addition to what Scott said above, similar keywords with different match types might behave differently in Adwords system. I would suggest you to give a read out to below article on how similar keywords match to search terms:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2756257?hl=en

Also, if you have a campaign type with all features and as Scott pointed above that these are different keyword variations, you might want to review your Search Terms report and if the close variants of your keywords are not performing well, you can disable that option under keyword matching options:

2013-07-29 16_15_29-Campaign Management.jpg

My couple of cents!

Pankaj

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Another small addition, whenever the duplicate finder shows you something, don't believe it, search with the keyword planner the traffic of those "almost the same" keywords. 

You may find differences in traffic and therefore a reason to keep them.