Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Duplicate content when split test landing page

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone,

I'm running an Adwords campaign and now I want to do split testing 2 landing pages with similar content. My question is that if the content of this two landing pages are relatively similar, whether or not it will get penalized by Google because of duplicate content ? If not then how about quality score of new landing page ?

In most cases of split testing landing pages, the contents are similar, so how to avoid duplicate content problem?

I read in somewhere that we could use "nofollow", "nonindex" and "rel=canonical" to avoid duplicate content but I still wonder if they actually works ? It seems that these settings are just for google organic bot, but not for Adword bot .

How about your thought ?

Thank you very much for any help !  

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Duplicate content when split test landing page

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Thoai,

Welcome to AdWords CommunitySmiley Happy

Yes you can do the A/B split testing if both the landing page has same content.

You will not penalised because of duplicate content.

SEM has no relation with SEO. thus duplicate content does not matter.
--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Bear in mind that you can only use one landing page at a time. That means you need to split test sequentially, week by week (or shorter if your traffic justifies it).

In this respect, you can change the headline, text and just about anything else to find out what your audience needs and wants.

Usually this is in response to your better ad performance - and if one ad isn't collecting as many clicks as all the others put together, it's a sure sign that they aren't diverse enough. Plus, forget putting the keyword in the ad, Google's main interest is in the click-through rate. You can do a kind of "broad match" to your keywords for a wider span of ideas that are targeted on your keyword without it actually being the keyword!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Gemma L,

Use experiments to A/B split test landing pages. If you run one this week and another next week, you don't get true results as you would in an A/B split test.

Also, testing of ad copy is not the same as testing different landing pages. You can split test new ad copy by adding new ads to the AdGroup.

Tests really need to be done over the same time period to eliminate unknown variables.

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Peter, thankyou for that. I would like to ask in response, how then do you have two landing pages for one adgroup? I thought that wasn't allowed. Could you explain how I might achieve this?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Gemma,

I agree with Pete inputs, yes you use two diffrent landing page in the same ad group with same text ads.

And change your ad rotation setting " Rotate Evenly" so in this way AdWords serves both ads equally and basis on this you can identify which Landing page url gives better results.

And if you have perform A/B testing in multiple Adgroup, you can see the destination url performance in dimension tab.
--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Thoai,

Learn using Analytics Content experiments for this task , read more from here :

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1745147

In here Google explains that ethical testing does not breach the Cloaking policy :

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2576845?hl=en&ref_topic=1745207

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Adrian, I had an occasion when attempting to put a different landing page in an ad group, and it told me that I couldn't do that. Have the rules changed, as this was two years ago or so; or is there a work-around?

Could you be a little clearer as the link you provided didn't help me much!

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Gemma,

There is a healthy habit on this forum to ask questions separately , not inside a topic started by another person. The rule is explained here : Community Guidelines

"Eyes on the Prize

Don’t jump on an existing thread to start a conversation about a different topic or divert a thread for your own purposes - create a new thread of your own topic instead."

Now, you can advertise 1 domain per ad group as explained here : link

"

Use only one website per ad group

• We allow only one display URL domain to be used for all ads within a particular ad group. In other words, all display URLs within an ad group need to be hosted in the same site, even the URLs for your paused ads. If you want to advertise a different site, we suggest that you create a new campaign or a new ad group."

Has Thoai M expressed that the  2 landing pages are from different Domains ? I think not.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Adrian, I asked it here as I felt it was pertinent to the thread. Otherwise I would have opened a new question.

Thankyou for the clarification, it's what I needed. I'm now busy for the rest of the day thanks to your input!!