Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Duplicate Keywords based normalisation

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

Quick question which I can't seem to get my head around.

I have got two keywords, both of which are the same match type;

F70/840

F70 840

My first question is does google take the forward slash as being a space, and if so are these then classed as duplicates?

Secondly, google appears to only be showing ads for one of these keywords, so what the easiest way to find the entire list where these occur?

Our campaigns have been running for a long while and keywords have built up, meaning this sort of occurrence is now quite common, and the AdWords duplicate finder doesn't seem to list these as duplicates. 

I look forward to hear your opinions on this matter, many thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Duplicate Keywords based normalisation

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Luke,

I believe that Google will ignore the slash and consider it to be a space. The easiest thing to do is to use AdWords Editor to view duplicate keywords. You just download the account, then use the tools menu and select "Find Duplicate keywords". You can find more information here: https://support.google.com/adwords/editor/answer/47633?hl=en

Is that what you've been using to check for them? Another way could be to download the search query report and pivot the data to see which queries are mapping to which keywords and look for similarities and overlap.

Hope this helps!
Amy

AmyBishopMarketing.com

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Luke,

I believe that Google will ignore the slash and consider it to be a space. The easiest thing to do is to use AdWords Editor to view duplicate keywords. You just download the account, then use the tools menu and select "Find Duplicate keywords". You can find more information here: https://support.google.com/adwords/editor/answer/47633?hl=en

Is that what you've been using to check for them? Another way could be to download the search query report and pivot the data to see which queries are mapping to which keywords and look for similarities and overlap.

Hope this helps!
Amy

AmyBishopMarketing.com

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Amy,

Yes, we have been using the duplicate keywords report for this, but have been surprised to find that this doesn't seem to show the keywords with slashes.

Think we're going to give the search query report idea a go, hopefully this will shine some light on the situation.

Many Thanks for the reply!

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Awesome, glad to help! Smiley Happy