4.9K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Duplicate Keywords Within Same Ad Campaign

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

How does duplicate keywords in same ad campaign affects the performance and cost?

My client has so many duplicate keywords, e.g.:

+buy +shoes +online

+shoes +online

+shoes +buy +online

"buy shoes online"

"shoes online"

I recommended to remove these keywords but client is bit reluctant till I show him something like this from Google itself. I did my search and couldn't find anything. There are articles about duplicate keywords in different ad campaigns, but no one is talking about duplicate keywords in same campaign.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Duplicate Keywords Within Same Ad Campaign

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Raj,

Best strategy is using these similar keywords with different match types in different adgroups.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@RajK

From the list you provided, there is really only one that is technically a duplicate.  +buy +shoes +online is the exact same thing as +shoes +buy +online.  

While there is certainly some possible overlap with the rest, there are legitimate reasons for doing it this way.  One reason would be bid variation. You might find you only want to bid $1.00 for "shoes online," and bid $2.50 for "buy shoes online."  

Overlap is okay, duplicates are not.  There really isn't any direct correlation to performance and cost with duplicates, it's simply just not efficient in respect to analysis and measurement.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Rajk,

Duplicate keywords does not impact on your campaign performance, But definitely "+Buy +Shoes +Online" and "+shoes +Buy +Online" is a duplicate keywords, and one keywords should be paused. If you Client is rigid, make them educate how BMM keywords works.

Now, You can create a ad group like this: use the negative keywords, so that your actual keyword goes to the ad auction, it will stop the cannibalization among different keywords.

Keywords

Ad Group

Negative keywords

+buy +shoes +online

Buy Shoes Online - BMM

"shoes online", "shoe online"

+shoes +online

Shoes Online - BMM

buy, "shoes online", "shoe online"

"buy shoes online"

Buy Shoes Online - PH

"shoes online"

Shoes Online -PH

buy

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @RajK

To add onto @Rakesh Kumar reply above, I will provide you this strategy which I always implement to stop cross triggering, as duplicate keywords will lead to cross trigerring of queries between them.

I also have one question - As you said its in the adcampaign, but is it in the same adgroup? Or do you have these keywords in different adgroups?

I am giving you a suggestion even before you reply to my question above - If you have them in seperate adgroups, then it would be easy to manage, if in same adgroups, then you are in for a fix.

1. Add Phrase Match Negatives as mentioned by Rakesh.

2. Measure the performance on a week on week basis. You can do this by comparing the quality score and the cpc's of keywords.  

I also had a few suggestions for Rakesh's recommendation , you can check them in blue

Keywords

Ad Group

Negative keywords

+buy +shoes +online

Buy Shoes Online - BMM

"shoes online", "shoe online"

+shoes +online

Shoes Online - BMM

buy, "shoes online", "shoe online" if you add them in phrase match negative, then they wouldnt show for the keyword +shoes +online and +shoe +online. you can add buy though

"buy shoes online"

Buy Shoes Online - PH

"shoes online"

Shoes Online -PH

buy

[PS Note: I am not related to the company mentioned in my link, I am just trying to help find a solution for this]

Hope this helps!