3.5K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Duplicate Clicks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

QUESTION:   It appears that around 33-50% of my adword clicks are duplicates - ie 2 or more clicks from 1 user session.  Is there any way to stop this or does .Adwords later credit those duplicate clicks  back?

BACKGROUND:  I run adword ads for a small consulting business at specific times of the day (M-F).  I monitor the phone during those ad times.   I set  a  budget at $50 per day.  Whilst the ads are running I  monitor progress of impressions and clicks  (on adwords reporting  ) vs calls received and compare  and intetrmittantly monitor adwords clicks vs sessions  on google analytics  (using matched keywords, city stas).   I often see clicks as double or triple   sessions reported on Google Analytics implying 2 or more clicks per session.

Any comments or solutions appreciated.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Duplicate Clicks

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Mark,

Regarding invalid clicks, I would say that Google has sophisticated tools and techniques to take care of it and in case they found any suspicious activity happening, the amount is credited back to the advertiser's account.

You can read more on this here: http://www.google.com/ads/adtrafficquality/invalid-click-protection.html

Here you can find the Troubleshooter for Invalid clicks: https://support.google.com/adwords/troubleshooter/2557048?hl=en

Also note that there is a difference between the two i.e. Session and a click. It may happen that somebody clicks your ad but doesn't reach your website. So in that case a click will be registered but a session will not be recorded because the user doesn't actually reached your website. Similarly there are other discrepancies as well and I would suggest you to read this help center reference to know more about the difference in both: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034383?hl=en

Hope this helps!

Pankaj

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Mark O,

I would say this is fairly normal and common, especially in a very competitive market. People tend to do comparison shopping, clicking on multiple ads to review service or product quality and pricing. If they are coming back to you, that indicates they found your offer attractive. Most times, that user will click on your ad again, rather than return to your site through either direct or organic means.

The question that remains is how are your conversions?

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Pankaj, I will read through the links supplied. Mark

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Pete. I handn't thought of it with that positive take. Your right in that it actually comes down to conversions (sales) but its hard where a few duplicate clicks at $8 each take a big piece out of a $30/day budget. Tx Mark