Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Drop in quality score for keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I noticed that there was a sudden drop of the quality score in all my keywords from an average of 7 to 5 even when I have not made significant changes in the landing page. Can anyone help me with analysing why this happened?

Warm regards,

Srikrishna

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Drop in quality score for keywords

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi,

Apart from Vicky's great suggestions of working on adcopies

Two things came across my mind:

1. Relevancy between keywords and search queries.
  2. Competitor has recently improved QS of their campaings.

Did u notice a drop down in CTR along with QS?

1. Work on search queries and weed out all irrelevant terms.
  2. Work on increasing the exact match imp share, this also helps in building good CTR and QS

Thanks
Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey Srikrishna

Even if you have made decent changes if not significant I don't think you would notice any QS dip for atleast 4 weeks after the changes were made. Also I am sure you would not make changes for the bad and most often the changes by a wise advertiser do more good than bad.

The landing page has its part to play when it comes to determining QS for the keywords but the major proportion is of the CTR and relevancy!

So,if there has been a drop in the QS for your keywords,analyze your past 2 weeks performace at least and you would yourself realize what went wrong with the performace.

Also sometimes when an advertiser adds or edit targeted locations to an already running campaign it does or might affect the QS of the keywords, even if you don't notice any drop in the performace of your keywords.

Finally,don't panic..Just analyze the recent performance data and also view the change history for the same time period. If you don't find anything odd than just carry on doing what you were doing. There is no need of taking evasive measures and spoiling things even further.

Best

Mudit

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi pbelhyd,

I think your CTR is dropping for particular keywords. you should create attractive ad copies (include call to action if its possible) and increase your bid to get top ad rank.

As your CTR and QS improves you can drop your bids accordingly.

Hope this helps !!

Regards

-Vicky

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi,

Apart from Vicky's great suggestions of working on adcopies

Two things came across my mind:

1. Relevancy between keywords and search queries.
  2. Competitor has recently improved QS of their campaings.

Did u notice a drop down in CTR along with QS?

1. Work on search queries and weed out all irrelevant terms.
  2. Work on increasing the exact match imp share, this also helps in building good CTR and QS

Thanks
Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

In addition to the suggestions above, please also look into the following:

• Were the keyword bids reduced recently that could have led to a drop in positions that translates to a lower CTR?
  • Did you pause high CTR keywords in the account?
  • Did you recently introduce a lot of new ads that have replaced old ads completely?

Cheers,

Nikhil 

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi pbelhyd,

As you did mentioned that you haven't made any significant changes on the LP.

That means you have made few changes which may not be significant from your point of view but that doesn't necessarily means that Google Algorithm also thinks your way. So, If you have noticed drop in QS post making the changes on LP's, I'll suggest you to carefully analyse all the changes you have made including Title/Header/Meta tags. If you identify anything noticeable then revert those changes if possible.

In case if this is not the case then follow great advices from other forum members.

Good luck!

~Rehan

~Rehan
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey Srikrishna

Even if you have made decent changes if not significant I don't think you would notice any QS dip for atleast 4 weeks after the changes were made. Also I am sure you would not make changes for the bad and most often the changes by a wise advertiser do more good than bad.

The landing page has its part to play when it comes to determining QS for the keywords but the major proportion is of the CTR and relevancy!

So,if there has been a drop in the QS for your keywords,analyze your past 2 weeks performace at least and you would yourself realize what went wrong with the performace.

Also sometimes when an advertiser adds or edit targeted locations to an already running campaign it does or might affect the QS of the keywords, even if you don't notice any drop in the performace of your keywords.

Finally,don't panic..Just analyze the recent performance data and also view the change history for the same time period. If you don't find anything odd than just carry on doing what you were doing. There is no need of taking evasive measures and spoiling things even further.

Best

Mudit

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi pdbehyd,

Many advertisers have seen this drop around 5/23-5/25 because of a change in Google's QS algorithm. Google started placing a greater emphasis on the domain history. In the past, each account had its own QS component, but with the heavier impact on domain history, keyword QS might have changed regardless of the account they are in.

One idea might be to see if you have any low QS, inactive keywords in your portfolio you might be able to delete in order to ensure they don't drag down your high QS keywords.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi BCallister,

Are there any links regarding this switch in QS attribution? Would be nice to get more insights on that.

Regards,

Nikhil 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Unfortunately, there is no documentation supporting this that I can find. However, the statement our replied to above was a direct quote from our Google Adwords rep. We also have a couple people from our company at SMX West in Seattle this week who've said many advertisers saw their QS drop on the same date. If I come across any documentation regarding this I'll be sure to post it.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

No worries mate. Thanks for putting this up Smiley Happy