Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Drastic Drop in the impressions :Shocked

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

I have been running a campaign with CPA bidding($5) strategy, I used to get avg 4 leads with $4 cost/lead weekly. To increase the number of leads, I had increased the CPA cost from $5 to $7. As a result, there was no significant change in the improvement of impressions. With $7, I was getting same 4 leads weekly with higher cost/lead $12. Since the cost/lead got increased with same number of conversions, again I swiched back the CPA cost to $5 from $7. Then am seeing drastic drop in the impressions. I thought if i add more relevant keywords it will increase the impressions but the campaign is targetting specific region, could not able to find more keywords. Please let mw know what can be done to improve the impressions.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Drastic Drop in the impressions :Shocked

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Dhivya,

Just to clarify... did you add keywords to the campaign at the same time as increasing your target CPA?

What methods have you tried in an attempt to find new keyword opportunities? If you haven't done so already I would recommend checking out historical search terms, identify which ones have converted and then add them to your campaign. Also analyse which of you already added keywords are converting and consider extensions / alternatives (in the form of synonyms for example) which would also have a likely chance of generating conversions for you.

I'm guessing you have already included geographical related words to your keywords also?

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Scott,

I was about to add keywords once the impressions dropped, I was searching but I could not find new keywords to it. So I didn't add new keywords. I tried in keyword planner with targeted geography . Let me do the search term analysis and see. My doubt, because of the change in CPA bid, impressions would go down?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dhivya M
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Dhivya,

Technically an increase in CPA bid shouldn't influence your impressions whereas a descrease may have. I'd definitely encourage you to take a look at the historical search terms and see what you can find.

Is the interface recommending that you should increase your daily budget by any chance? If AdWords doesn't believe that your budget is high enough to last all the time for your ad schedule then it will throttle your impressions.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Some how I got 4 new keywords from search term, I had added to the campaign. Let me track the results and see. Thank you Scott.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
No problem Dhivya, let me know how you get on and we can try to sort this out Smiley Happy

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Scott,

It actually worked a bit, After adding relevant search term to the keywords, from 300 impressions to 700 imp/day increased. But impressiosn used to be around 1500 imp/day, Is there any way to increase to that level? Do I need to check anything else (like QS of Keyword, something like that ) to fix this prob?
Note: Few keywords has quality score as 3/10.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Dhivya,

I'm glad to hear it's improved a bit.

Do you remember what the original Quality Score was for those keywords which are now 3/10? What has your CTR average been like over time for those particular keywords?

I would recommend seeing what diagnosis is being reported on those keywords by hovering over the bubble next to each one as shown in the picture below. It will indicate whether they are actually showing on searches and which areas they need improving on:

Keywords QS.png