Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Doubt about Ad Positions on SERP and Second Page auctions

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have one keyword with Average Position equals to 1,0. 

Using Ad Preview to search for my ad I've noticed something weird: My ad was indeed the first one, but it was on the lower segment of the SERP, at the bottom of organic results. There was no ads on top of the organic sites. Searching directly for it on Google gave me the same result at the time.

Question 1: Does this mean that the position 1,0 is not directly related to the ad slots positions available on the SERP, but related to the order of them, regardless on "where" did they show on that order? I mean, if position is 1,0 I'd assume that it was constantly the first website on over the SERP (above organic results).

Taking a look at the help center, I've found this about Average Position: "A statistic that describes how your ad typically ranks against other ads. This rank determines in which order ads appear on the page." and that's where I've got my question from, since the statement mention position against other ads and not positions over SERP slots.

-- 

On the same article there is this: "An average position of 1-8 is generally on the first page of search results, 9-16 is generally on the second page, and so on.". I thought that there were no more "second page of ads" like in the past and that when users went to second, third and so on pages, a new auction would occur with another 8 positions available.

So Question 2 is: Is there a "second page of ads" or when users switch pages a new auction occur? If there's, where is it?

If a new auction occur, help center article should be updated, right?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Doubt about Ad Positions on SERP and Second Page auctions

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Question #1: correct; though  very rare to happen.

Question # 2 : Google did limit  (my personal impression) the number of ads on the second page, but they are still shown (for the small number of users who still visit page #2. Typically a user who doesn't find the answer on the first page rephrases / rewords the query rather than move to the next page).

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: Doubt about Ad Positions on SERP and Second Page auctions

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Spoiler
So Question 2 is: Is there a "second page of ads" or when users switch pages a new auction occur? If there's, where is it?

Yes, the second page of ads auction occurs same time when a user type the search terms. But as Moshe said, very few people go to the second or third page, when they don't get satisfactory answer in first page.

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’