Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Double Serving Policy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi AdWords Community,

Has any in-house SEM marketer had experience with competing ads from an affiliate program? So, essentially the keyword and ad would drive to the same exact domain/ landing page that you're driving your customers/ visitors to. Instead of bidding against each other have you come to a mutual agreement (or some other solution) that has worked for you?

I look forward to hearing your suggestions!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Double Serving Policy

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Silvia,

Google will only show one ad per domain in any search results. But yes, you will be bidding against each other.

Google has pretty much shut out affiliate marketing from AdWords. One of the main problems you face is that is there is something against Google policy on the merchant site, you can't change it and your account can be suspended.

When I did direct linking affiliate marketing on AdWords, we never communicated with the competing affiliates, and even if we wanted to, there's no way of knowing who they are.

Double Serving Policy

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

Where is the money coming in from? Are you making more from these affiliates than you are in-house through the AdWords advertising? If so, then let them advertise for you, as they are clearly doing a better job selling the product/service. If not, then why risk a violation, and lose points on the back end to affiliate commissions?

Tom

Double Serving Policy

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hi Silvia,

If you are the merchant, then 99% of merchants forbid PPC advertising on their brand name in their affiliate agreements. 

For generic keywords, you are often better off to let affiliates to run ads, but make sure they are running quality ad copy that represents your business appropriately.

But don't compete with affiliates, that will make things harder for them, ans for you. And you are doubling the collective workload for the same end result. 

Double Serving Policy

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

As the saying goes, you might be  "playing with fire", and the end result could be that Google will suspend the domain. Affiliate advertising should be carefully structured. It seemed to me that with the current structure any advertiser wishes can promote the product. This is risky.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’