Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Domain change improved performance

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

A month ago I changed my domain from mydomain.com to mydomain.co.uk, and had to update all the ads in my Adwords account (Search campaigns only) 

Since then, I have seen a huge increase in impressions, improved avg position, and a lot more traffic overall. 

Obviously I'm fine with this, I was just wondering why this would happen. The campaigns are targeting the UK only - does Google prefer a local domain? I know this helps for SEO but had no idea it had any effect in PPC. 

Also, since I had to replace all my ads, and the new ones have no history, I would imaging that it would take some time for the new ads to work as well as the old ones, but the opposite is happening. 

The account was working well before the change, high QS and good CTR mostly.

Any ideas?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Domain change improved performance

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

This is very interesting,,,,

[Edited is following a correction mentioned in a post  below]

We usually recommend not to do the switch at once, and to allow some time with  redirect before switching to the new URL,

The difference in URL  could be the reason, either directly or indirectly, though my opinion: the good performance  is attributed to the account's past  good performances.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Moshe,

If the past performance was good, wouldn't you expect the new ads to work as well as before, but not better?

BTW, What do you mean by allowing time with redirect before switching to the new URL? We've changed the entire domain, not just a folder, so the display URL wouldn't match the destination and would be disapproved. Am I missing something?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

PPCer;

What I mean is that when there is a change of the URL, (most) advertisers  also would rethink their ad-copies and overhaul the ads,,,

I would recommend redirecting to the new landing page, (from the old one), separately setting a new ad-group(s) with the revised ad-copies, and only when ready,  launch the new ad-group and pause the old ad-groups.

This also (my view) sends the system a signal that the new URL is  a " new version" of the old one, and hence, the system should see continuity / similar flow  in expected CTR.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi PPCer,

The domain of the display URL does have an effect on QS. Along with tracking CTR of your keywords and CTR of your ads, Google also tracks CTR for domains. All of this combines to create the QS for your keywords.

Also, it is quite possible that using co.uk is more attractive to users in your target area, giving you a boost in CTR when switching to that domain. I don't disagree with MosheTLV often, but this time I do, to a certain extent. Moshe wrote, "The difference in URL is not the reason." I would modify that to say, "The difference in URL could be the reason", either directly or indirectly.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Well... I agree with @petebardo 's rephrasing.

I did check though before posting this recent white paper by Google about QS. I did not find any reference to the domain in the display URL.

Having said that, Pete has more experience than I have in testing QS variables. So If he says that the domain does have  an effect - I would take that as the answer.

I edited my reply accordingly.