3.8K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Domain Change, How to Reorganize Ad Groups/Campaigns

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The domain that I am advertising for will changing names soon and I would prefer to change most of the keywords from exact match to broad match modifier. Some of these campaigns have been around for almost 2 years so I am wondering if anybody has any tips for preserving the quality score and results I have acculmulated so far. Should I just create new campaigns and basically be starting over?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Domain Change, How to Reorganize Ad Groups/Campaigns

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Should I just create new campaigns and basically be starting over?

Probably not.

Can´t you just add the same keywords as broad modified and at the same time keep your exact matchs. You can add them to the same ad group if you want, or, if you prefer more control and transparence to another ad group or campaign. The latter is a good idea if you wanna be sure your budget for exact matchs don´t get eaten up by other (match typed) keywords.

To add your new keywords to a new ad group is a good idea if you wanna be able to compare how different match types are performing, on ad group level.

If you add broad modified keywords in different ad groups and wanna be sure they do not trigger ads when someone searches exactly for [pizza restaurant] (your exact matched keyword), you could the exact matched as a negative keyword in that ad group. But be sure you choose the correct match type for your negative keyword. http://adwords.blogspot.se/2007/11/adwords-optimization-tips-more-on.html

Quality Score "is calculated every time your keyword matches a search query" and as your brod modified keywords will trigger ads at many more search queries than your exact matched and probably not all of them will have the same  QS, thus your visible QS (i.e. what you see in the AdWords-interface) will probably be lower than for your exact matched keywords.