AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Does using narrow keywords increase conversion rate?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Does using narrow keywords increase conversion rate?

It seems that no, because conversion rate depends only on clicks, and clicks happen after keywords were already taken into consideration; so it seems not to depend on keywords. But I am not sure whether this my reasoning is correct.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Victor P
September 2015

Re: Does using narrow keywords increase conversion rate?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Victor P,

Use of narrow keywords can improve performance, but won't always. Broad match keywords may get more clicks, but those clicks may not convert well. More narrow keywords may get fewer clicks, but a higher conversion rate.

Bid higher on focused keywords that convert well. Bid lower or add as negative narrow keywords that do not convert well.

Use your best judgement and decision making abilities. It could go either way.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Correct: Conversion happens after the click, and depends on the user first  clicking, and then converting on the  landing page (which should be attractive, and lure   users to convert).

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Do I understand correctly that the reason and the only reason to use narrow keywords is that using narrow keywords lowers pay-for-click?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Victor P
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Victor P,

Use of narrow keywords can improve performance, but won't always. Broad match keywords may get more clicks, but those clicks may not convert well. More narrow keywords may get fewer clicks, but a higher conversion rate.

Bid higher on focused keywords that convert well. Bid lower or add as negative narrow keywords that do not convert well.

Use your best judgement and decision making abilities. It could go either way.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello again Victor;
Pete has provided you with an answer, I will just add that the main goal is to match as closely as possible a keyword to a search query, and to bid  the highest on that match. (To  a higher ad-rank)
Intuitively; the closest match is exact match. So, most advertisers will bid the highest on exact match, lower on phrase and the lowest on broad (as explained by Pete)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’