AdWords
3.5K members online now
3.5K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Does using a CNAME domain affect my Quality Score?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi 

I am using Unbounce to create my specific landing pages.  I have put a link to one of them so you can see.  I have a problem where I have a low quality score so my Ads are not showing - they were and now they have stopped.  Does using a CNAME domain affect my quality score.  

I have set up my Campaigns based on a keyword phrase, then each ad group is a long tail keyword with only that keyword as a pharse and exact match in two ads (split Test).  The URL goes to a specific landing page, which has the Key word and an associated video with the CTA to another landing page.  The purpose of my ads are for lead generation - capturing name and email to start a relationship.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks Jason

Here is the link to my landing page: Strategy Roadmap

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Does using a CNAME domain affect my Quality Score?

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

HI

Well I dont think Adwords even looks at DNS records whether CNAME or any other information related to DNS.

I think low quality score in your case is most probably because of one of the some disconnect between keyword adcopy and landing page.

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

I spoke to Google about this the other day precisely for the same reasons - a client is using Unbounce and I was worried that the CNAME record would be in breach of Google's site policy against redirects (which a CNAME essentially is).

Here's the bottom line...

A CNAME redirect happens at the DNS level before the visitor gets to the site.

What Google are worried about are "on page" redirects - i.e. a visitor arrives at your innocent landing page and is automatically redirected by an on page script to another less innocent landing page - one which they know full well Google would not approve.

Google doesn't look at anything until it gets to the page so Nik's comments about your QS are probably spot on.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Excellent question; You got the answers, but this discussion is worth sharing.

The key, I think, is Steve's answer that Google is worried about web page redirects while CNAMES records are at the DNS level.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I have a few questions regarding your landing page and quality scores:

1. Can you give us a link to the first landing page you were using before the change to unbounce?

2. What was the quality score before the landing page change and what is it now, 2/10, 3/10?

3. (Optional) What is one of your low QS keyword and it's current CTR?

Maybe we can help you get your quality scores back in shape and get those ads back up because your video is great. Really enjoyed watching it. And I discovered sharpcloud in the process.

If I may suggest something to increase your conversion rate: the text on that landing page is drowning the video. If I were you I would limit the text to only the headline, nothing more. And I would make the video auto-play so people are hooked to it soon as they get to the page. The hierarchy would be: headline then auto-play video then CTA button, nothing more. 

Chris

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Cat Embarassed