5.5K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Does setting LOcations' affect when I select in 'Location Options'

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I was checking my ad campaign and I noticed there wasn't much in the way of 'impressions' it is quietening down this time of year.

I hovered over 'Ads preview' icon and got the message the 'Ad were not showing as I have restricted my locations'  - Or words similar....The thing is I don't believe I have!!

In 'locations' I have 'United Kingdom' and in 'Location Options' I have 'People in my targeted location' Which I believe to be the UK...

I don't need people from outside the UK searching and finding me. 

BUT should I have 'People in, searching for or viewing pages about my targeted location (recommended)'

As my 'Locations' (ie the UK) will stop the ads showing in France or anywhere else? 

Re: Does setting LOcations' affect when I select in 'Location Options'

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Rob,

The short and easy answer is... it depends on your business. If it is not worth showing ads to people who are searching about your targeted location then do not select this option.

Because it is quieting down as you say, adwords has made you aware of this as perhaps your keywords could be showing to a number of different users who are searching outside of the UK about your business type in the UK.

If you are unsure then create a new campaign and set your location to UK and then under advanced set it to people searching about my location (the other option to the one you have currently). You can assign a separate budget to this campaign and monitor profitability yourself, thus alleviating any doubts you may have.

Hope this helps

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for that, more money to Google then?! Smiley Happy

I have just changed the campaign to 'People in, searching for or viewing pages about my targeted location (recommended)'

As I do really only need UK people searching as the service is only available to people in the UK...That is it would not be useful for people coming from abroad.

So if 'People in, searching for or viewing pages about my targeted location (recommended)' only shows adverts to people physically in UK then this is the one for me.

Having said that, being that my Targetted Area was UK only, the other option (People in my targeted location) should work equally as well.?!?!

That is what I am asking really, not works best for me, but what is the difference between the two options, when they both 'appear' to have the same affect...ie only show to people physically in the UK...
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Rob W
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Rob,

They do not have the same effect on your account. The People in my targeted location will only show ads to users in the UK. The setting you have changed it to, namely, People in, searching for or viewing pages about my targeted location , will show your ad to people who are say in france but searching about your bussines in the UK.

So if you sell flowers. Option A will show only to people in the UK and option B will show to people in the UK and people outside of the UK who say search for 'Buy Flowers in London'.

Hope this clarifies it

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Ok I will change back.

Strange though really as I understand that people in France will see the ads, but it does state

" People in (ie people in UK), (and) searching for or viewing pages about my targeted location" (Set to UK)

So maybe I am just reading too much into this, I will change the campaigns back and hopefully not get the statement 'Ads aren't being shown as you have restrictive locations'...!!

Many thanks

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Actually I have just changed back and the message I was getting is actually stranger than I thought....

"The location terms in this keyword can affect where your ads show. Location: Gatwick Airport, England, United Kingdom What can I do?"

But my location is set to UK, not that specific, just UK....

Any ideas?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Rob,

Considering that the status is eligible and the bubble is referring to the keyword, I am assuming that this notification is being shown for a specific keyword in the status column. Is that correct? Could you provide the keyword that this message is coming up for?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi

Yes it is for all specific keywords within adgroups/Campaigns

For example
"meet and greet gatwick"
"gatwick meet and greet"

The other point is up until today I have never noticed this message before.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Rob,

Well that explains the message. Your keywords are targeting by location. So those keywords will only show up for people in the area of Gatwick as your location targeting has been set up to only include people in my targeted area as you have excluded intent in your location settings.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Not sure what you mean my location has been set up as United Kingdom, no where else?