3.2K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Does search volume affect exact match?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I have always been under the impression that I should use broad or modified broad as a way to catch long tail. My strategy has always been that if I found a keyword that was getting some traffic that I should create phrase and exact matches. When I say some traffic I mean 10 or more impressions a month. 

I have seen some evidence that these keywords performed better as a broad match than they did as exact. I see this by comparing the data from the detailed keywords list report. 

Does Google want us to only use exact match and phrase match in higher volume keywords? If so what is the threshold?  I would guess that it would also have to do with CTR. Like I have an exact keyword that does good for the month but some days it gets 8 impressions but 0 clicks. I just created this exact match because it was being pulled up quite a bit in the broad match detail report and had a much lower CPC than what I was bidding on the broad match and was ranking 1.0 and I thought I could save some money by lower it to 1.3.. I pulled it out as an exact and gave it a lower bid and it dropped in ranking. I had to raise the bid to above the broad match bid to get it to rank in the same place.

My account is in the legal sector so I have low volume high CPC. I also target only 3 metro cities in Texas. A very good day is 2000 impressions. I hover around 3%-4% CTR.

Would it be better for me to just put everything in modified broad except my higher volume keywords. I have seen account get lower CPC's this way. In other words should exact and phrase be used sparingly?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Does search volume affect exact match?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello,

The prime factor here is relevance. So the more specific the keyword match type is, the more are the chances that it enhance the overall relevancy and thereby winning the more relevant traffic to your landing page as compared to generic and broad queries which might get you irrelevant users and traffic.

As per the precedence level, general rule of thumb is to bid highest on exact matches, then comes phrase and then broad modifier and lastly broad matches. Now, why the broad match type is not recommended because it attracts more of the irrelevant traffic as well which could degrade the overall performance of the account. You will have to keep a regular eye on the negative keywords and add them from time to time as well to manage it.

Ad Rank takes into consideration your bid, Quality Score and how well you have been using the ad extensions in your account. Based on the overall prospect, you get to rank higher or lower during the ad auction process.

I would definitely encourage you to read this help center article on how similar keywords are matched to Search Terms: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2756257?hl=en

This would give you better idea on how different keywords matching options work and how you should utilize it inside your specific account for better optimization process.

Hope this helps!

Pankaj

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
I don't think you read my post. I don't need the beginner cut and paste. I have been doing this a long time and have worked on lots of accounts and i'm certified.

I had this same problem in my last post. Please read my post before responding.

The main thing to notice is that I have a broad match and I noticed in the detailed report that people were typing in a keyword on a regular basis and over 30 days the stats where good for that keyword. It had a much lower CPC than the broad match bid and was getting conversions. I then created an exact match for it and my average position went from 1.0 to 5. I had to increase the bid from $2.50 to $10 just to get it to number 2. Had I just left it in broad match it would have performed better. This keyword does very well over 30 days but can be very bad on a single day.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello TX-ppcguy;

Well... I understand that you are unhappy and  disagree with @pankaj1782 's reply, but I have to agree with Pankaj  on the topic;

The question which lies at the back of your question is "which keyword would trigger the ad if several keywords could match the search query"

This single sentence "encapsulates"  numerous strategies with the goal of matching the most  relevant keyword with the  search query, and to  win a higher position.

That in mind,  the most common strategy would be to bid the highest on exact match and the lowest on broad match. (As Pankaj mentioned - broad match  is most commonly used to "capture" residual traffic. I personally stopped using broad match.)

Going back to your original question: exact match, generally speaking, performs better. (Google's own stats show that exact match is a better  indication for a keyword performance. Hence, CTR for QS calculation is based on exact match) 

Having said that - there are verticals in which some broad match keywords perform well. My experience - those are usually in niche fields.)

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Seriously does anybody read posts. I said that I have a modified broad match and no exact match. I then created an exact match. I can choose which bid brings up that exact search. If I choose for it to come up for a broad match it performs better than if I choose for it to come up with an exact match. I compare the exact match stats with the detailed report of the broad match where I can see the stats for the term when it is used under the broad match.

This has zero to do with Google choosing to pick a match type. I choose which match type it goes with because I can control that and I can see different results. When you have a broad match you are just putting a bunch of exact matches under one bid and you can see the stats when you do a detailed keyword report. I never have match type compete with each other because I use negatives to make sure of that.

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

I agree with my colleagues on what said here, but I think you didn't get their answers. I will explain it in other way.

If you find the broad match preforms better than the phrase or exact match, generally because the broad match  type matches many search queries that don't have corresponding exact or phrase keywords in your account and those queries have higher performance than your account’s keywords.

You can't compare the broad match performance (which matches many search queries) with the exact match (which matches only it's exact search queries) unless you use most of the search queries of the broad keyword as exact keywords in your account. In that case, you will find the performance of those exact match keywords much better than the broad match keyword.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Really!!! How many times do I have to explain this. I am not comparing broad and exact stats. I'm comparing an exact match with the same word in a detailed keyword report from a broad match. I also said that the broad stats are from before the exact match was created and when the exact was created the broad match no longer caught the keyword.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I think I know what you're asking. I think you're asking if Google is quicker to pull an ad for a low volume search term when it is from a Broad Match adgroup than if it's from an Exact Match adgroup. Is this correct?

I personally have noticed that a specific term will pull my ad in broad match when it won't in exact match. For example, it might have been shown 20 times in one month while it was in Broad Match, but when I moved it to Exact Match Google wouldn't show it at all. Google gave the keyword a status of "low search volume". Well, it wasn't too low for Broad Match...

In some other cases, it would list the keyword with a "below first page bid" status and would suggest a much higher bid than what I was paying while it was in Broad Match.

I don't know the answer to your question, as I think I have the same question. Smiley Sad I did ask a rep at Google once during a live chat and was told it's treated the same. However, my results don't show that.