AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Does repetition of keywords improve quality score? Day #2

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

Day 2: AdWords Insight # 2 –

Does repetition of keywords in ads/landing-pages improve quality score?

Truth- No, not at all.

Keywords-stuffing (using keywords many times unnecessarily) is not a factor affecting quality scores. Quality score is decided by three main factors namely – Ad Relevance, Expected Click through Rate, and Landing Page Experience.

The relevance of your ad copies with your keywords and landing page is an important factor for quality score. So ideally, you should have your keywords in your ad texts, but it does not mean one should fill ads with keywords only. Doing so may get the ads disproved for editorial policies in the first place. But even if it does not get filtered by the system, it will affect ad's expected click through rate adversely and will give no benefits to the advertiser.

Let’s take an example –

stuffing.jpg

Will you click the above ad in the red circle?

I am sure you won’t.

It means you have understood that the expected click through rate for this ad in question would be extremely poor. No one would care to click this ad. It further means that even if the initial quality score of such a keyword is good enough in the campaign (may be because of historic score of other keywords in the campaign ), it would start going worse from bad and would eventually become the minimum.

And the aftermath? Such ads will perform very poor.

So, it was about ads. Let’s come to keyword stuffing in landing pages now.

Landing page score is based on relevance and experience. Google takes several things into consideration to rate the quality of a landing page. Some of the significant ones are – relevance, usefulness, and original contents, transparency and trustworthiness, ease of navigation, page speed, and others.

It concludes that even if you repeat your keywords several times, it is not going to help you enhance the overall user experience. As a result, it will not affect quality score; on the contrary as the experience would become worse by stuffing keywords, you may lose considerably on quality score and on ads' performance eventually.

Have questions or further thoughts? I would love to listen to them. 

Further Readings -

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1659694?hl=en

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2404197?hl=en

Related Community Post

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC.
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.
2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Does repetition of keywords improve quality score? Day #2

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
It's an age old fact and Quality score depends on how relevant is the page in context with the ad and slowly the other measures follow up like end user experience, page load time, content quality and historical performance. Thanks for your write-up Ratan!!

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

You are welcome.

Yes Amit, I agree. But, many of new advertisers sometimes have misinformation about it. We come across such questions time and again in the community. That's why I made an effort to dispel this fiction with facts again. Thanks you liked it. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha

If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I wouldn't call this ad  "repetition" of keywords. . This is a violation of the editorial policy. The ads should have been disapproved instantly. How it escaped the "Google bot radar" is a question to be checked

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

I agree @MosheTLV, such ads usually get filtered by the system and are disapproved but they may sometimes get skipped (as in the example) if the DKI is used aggressively. Even then such ads would get disproved in manual review if any. 

Whatever may the case be, I spotted it somewhere and used it as an example to discourage this practice. After all, advertisers can never expect a benefit from such ads, it's like expecting the unexpected ... Smiley Happy

Thanks
Ratan Jha