AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Does "Low search volume" actually HURT a campaign?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi I have some search terms that REALLY ARE what we're about at womensenews.('We're in the nonprofit program.)

Unfortunately for advertising purposes, we cover some pretty unique topics that I would really like to get the word out on -- say, for example, an article on the empowerment of Ugandan women.

Does keeping a keyword in the campaign "empowerment of Ugandan women" actually hurt the campaign CTR, or should I pause/delete it? Is it just like junk that sits around not doing any harm nor good? Especially since so many of my very high quality keywords are also "Low Search Volume"!

2 Expert replyverified_user
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Does "Low search volume" actually HURT a campaign?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello WebMamma5000, welcome to our community;

Do you  get any impressions from those "low search volume"?

A small number of impressions that does  result in clicks -  means higher CTR ( sometimes even very high: 10 clicks for 100 impressions - is a CTR of 10%!).  Impressions with no clicks  - lower your overall CTR .

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
No, they don't hurt. What hurts your account is keywords with high impressions but low clicks. You could remove the low search volume keywords if you want to simplify the management of your account. OTOH, knowing that they are low search volume keywords is useful information.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

To confirm what's already been said, leaving no-traffic keywords active in your campaign does no harm to your account.

For your purposes, since "getting the word out" is what you're most interested in, I would suggest that Google Display Network advertising should work better than Google Search.

I'd also recommend that you focus on social media--blog your desired topics on your website so that they'll get indexed and be available to be searched. Also, use Twitter and website platforms (Google + and Facebook) to gather and educate interested people, etc. Be sure you monitor news stories and blog about them when they appear, along with linking to them from your social media accounts. 

When you're trying to reach an audience that doesn't specifically exist, you first need to create the audience. Smiley Happy

Good luck!

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello WebMamma5000, welcome to our community;

Do you  get any impressions from those "low search volume"?

A small number of impressions that does  result in clicks -  means higher CTR ( sometimes even very high: 10 clicks for 100 impressions - is a CTR of 10%!).  Impressions with no clicks  - lower your overall CTR .

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

If the "Low Search Volume" keywords are not generating any ad impressions just delete them from your account.  It means less to worry about and to manage on your end.  That or consider adjusting the match type or broad or modified broad match to try to increase impresions, if you have not already done so.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
No, they don't hurt. What hurts your account is keywords with high impressions but low clicks. You could remove the low search volume keywords if you want to simplify the management of your account. OTOH, knowing that they are low search volume keywords is useful information.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

To confirm what's already been said, leaving no-traffic keywords active in your campaign does no harm to your account.

For your purposes, since "getting the word out" is what you're most interested in, I would suggest that Google Display Network advertising should work better than Google Search.

I'd also recommend that you focus on social media--blog your desired topics on your website so that they'll get indexed and be available to be searched. Also, use Twitter and website platforms (Google + and Facebook) to gather and educate interested people, etc. Be sure you monitor news stories and blog about them when they appear, along with linking to them from your social media accounts. 

When you're trying to reach an audience that doesn't specifically exist, you first need to create the audience. Smiley Happy

Good luck!

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you that is great advice.

FYI -- Google for Nonprofits cannot use the Google Display Network for advertising. But you're right, we need to coordinate better with our social networking.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks I had no idea they could still collect clicks if the keyword was "Low Search Volume"