AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Does moving keywords to new adgroup affect data and CPA bidding?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm moving a bunch of high traffic keywords into a new adgroup. I noticed the traffic data resets to zero and I'm running conversion optimizer. Does this negatively affect my conversions? Does this mean that CO has to start all over again in order to collect enough conversion data to optimize properly?

4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Does moving keywords to new adgroup affect data and CPA bidding?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hey Dean,

Conversion Optimizer uses historical data to optimize your campaigns. If you're moving keywords to a new group, they'll start from scratch and I'd recommend that you turn off C.O for now while you gather new historic.

Hope this helps.

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
IF CO uses historical data, it would make sense for things not to reset since it has historical data on these keywords, right?

Would moving the keywords back to the original adgroup fix my issue?

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hi Dean,

As far I am concerned, CO consider the whole campaign to get in action not a particular adgroup though if you have created that particular adgroup in a different campaign then only it can be considered.
There is a criteria for using CO, if it has been a long time when you switched to the new adgroup(in different campaign) then might be CO would not work if you have lost that specific data as "The campaign should usually receive at least 15 conversions in the last 30 days."
And if you are not fulfilling this requirement then you can't use it again even for the previous campaign.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
If You have just recently moved the Keywords, means then It can restore the data in old adgroups keywords.

Also, I would not suggest you to move high converting keywords in new Ad Groups, always move low performing keywords in new Ad groups, so that the high converting keywords will not loose history, and does impact the performance of the campaigns.

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Are you sure Rakesh? I just moved the keywords back to the old adgroup but data doesn't seem to be restored.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
November 2015

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi @Dean H I must first say that it is not actually possible to "move" Keywords from one Group to another.  If you pause (or remove) a Keyword in one Group and add it to another, that is an entirely new Keyword and as such has no historical data.  If you want to restart the old Keyword in the previous Group, you can only do this with it's data intact if the Keyword was paused.  If it was removed, when you add the Keyword once again it'll be completely new, with no history.

AdWords works in this way because a Keyword doesn't work in isolation.  A Keyword is associated with Ad(s) and landing page(s) so it's historical data is linked to those Ads and pages and cannot be transferred to another Group with different Ads and/or pages.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits