AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Does it make sense to use a + symbol in my key words, and if yes, why?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My company is currently using search terms like "dog+ cat vet". What use does it have to use plus sign?

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Does it make sense to use a + symbol in my key words, and if yes,

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

The AdWords system recognizes only two kinds of symbols in keywords: ampersands (which look like this: &) and accent marks (for example: á).

In your case adwords will treat both the keywords identical, "dog+ cat vet" is equivalent to "dog cat vet"

Also, it will not  be considered as BMM, since there's a space between the keyword "cat" and the plus sign.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Just to add to Ahmed's great reply, if you want to learn more about what the + sign actually does to keywords then I really recommend checking out this link -

http://www.google.co.uk/ads/innovations/bmm.html

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks!

Does it make sense to use a + symbol in my key words, and if yes, why?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

hey Ahmed,

Am still not getting this, why people using "+" sign?? 

Re: Does it make sense to use a + symbol in my key words, and if yes, why?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Faria K,

The + sign is part of the broad match modifier keyword match type; it falls somewhere between broad and phrase match. 

Adding a + symbol directly before a word in a keyword will mean that a search term must include that + word for your ad to deliver. If we take red shoes as an example for a broad match keyword, we could expect many similar variants to trigger our ad. In comparison, the broad match modifier keyword +red shoes  would have to include red in the search term in order to trigger our ad.

It's a way to be less restrictive than phrase match while still ensuring that only particular words will trigger your ad. 

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.