AdWords
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Does filtering out Unknown mean only logged in users are targeted?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've got some mild experience with Adwords but have a fairly easy question, I think.  

You can select ad demographics by gender, parental status and age.  In each case, you can select ranges, up to and including "unknown".  Does the Google algorithm guess these status elements based on search history, or is excluding "unknown" a good way to ensure that the users you are targeting have a valid google+ or YouTube account?

Essentially, I'm doing YouTube video ads for the purposes of attracting subscribers.  If I can filter down in such a way as to increase the chances ad views are seen by users who are logged in to an account, this increases the chances of subscribers by excluding those without accounts in the first place.

Any help would be awesome.  Smiley Happy

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Chris H
September 2015

Re: Does filtering out Unknown mean only logged in users are targeted?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello, Chris.

Here's what Google states on this page: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2580383

How Google determines demographic information

When someone visits a website that has partnered with the Google Display Network, Google stores a number in their browsers (using a "cookie") to remember their visits. This number uniquely identifies a web browser on a specific computer, not a specific person. Browsers may be associated with a demographic category, such as gender, age range, or parental status, based on the sites that were visited.

In addition, some sites might provide us with demographic information that people share on certain websites, such as social networking sites. We may also use demographics derived from Google profiles.

Based on that, I think that once you exclude the unknown, though it doesn't mean everybody else will have a Google profile, it may mean that those excluded have a low chance of having a Google profile.

You can, of course, test that and see if your cost per subscriber decreases or increases as a result of this measure. Just keep an eye on the impressions though, as in some cases I've seen that the Unknown bucket was quite a sizeable one.

Hope it helps.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.