AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Does adding more time on site increase quality score?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I keep getting "average" for my landing page experience.

I am doing what in my mind, and from what ive read/seen tested is the correct way to create a landing page.

I am using a Warmer page > Registration page

So i have one page with some info which you land on after a PPC click, it has two big call to action buttons which then go to the sign up page. Currently i dont really have links or anything which would lead to more time on site, the reason i didnt add them is because i want a lead not a someone who i actually end up distracting with helpful info.

What can i do to increase my landing page experience?

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Curiouss
September 2015

Re: Does adding more time on site increase quality score?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Try to embed this script in your analytics code, it helped me get almost 0 visitors with bounces even on a set of landing pages with a lot of info which will hardly motivate users to navigate more in the site :

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Measure-results/40-50-of-Visitors-are-spending-0-00-sec-on-l...

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Are you sure this isnt going to get us banned, is this completely ok with google?

Ok, so i add that basically all the way at the end of the .php file before the </body>?

When i did that it was actually showing the code visible to the user? Did i do something wrong?
Also, i need to add this on both my warmer page (landing page) and on my registration page?

The problem is generally they will only visit those two pages as a maximum unless i start encouraging them to navigate around, but may result in less leads. Quality score is very important for this main broad keyword i am targeting though, so maybe the cheaper clicks with less conversions will still end up being more cost efficient?

Im going to add this code now, but again, any further advice really would great, considering most likely they are not going to spend much time on the warmer page as its slightly short (ive noticed the longer it is the more the drop off going to > registration page is) most likely because its just overloading them.

So currently a nice short enough, yet long enough warmer page with strong call to action is in place, but it leads to a registration page that... if they dont fill it out most likely they will leave instantly. I guess even gaining another :10seconds or 20 seconds from the registration page will make a huge difference though.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Also, you do realize this will actually alter the real data right? It will be more difficult to actually fix the problem of bounces because we will no longer have them... but maybe for landing pages it doesnt matter, only increasing TimeOnSite does...

Ok, i got the code working i added with script tags like this:

<script type="text/javascript">
(function (tos) {
  window.setInterval(function () {
    tos = (function (t) {
      return t[0] == 50 ? (parseInt(t[1]) + 1) + ':00' : (t[1] || '0') + ':' + (parseInt(t[0]) + 10);
    })(tos.split(':').reverse());
    window.pageTracker ? pageTracker._trackEvent('Time', 'Log', tos) : _gaq.push(['_trackEvent', 'Time', 'Log', tos]);
  }, 10000);
})('00');
</script>

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

You add this code inside the analytics script which you already have on all your pages like this :

<script type="text/javascript">

var _gaq = _gaq || [];
_gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-xxxxxx-13']);
_gaq.push(['_trackPageview']);

(function() {
var ga = document.createElement('script'); ga.type = 'text/javascript'; ga.async = true;
ga.src=('https:' == document.location.protocol ? 'https://' : 'http://') + 'stats.g.doubleclick.net/dc.js';
var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(ga, s);
})();

(function (tos) {
window.setInterval(function () {
tos = (function (t) {
return t[0] == 50 ? (parseInt(t[1]) + 1) + ':00' : (t[1] || '0') + ':' + (parseInt(t[0]) + 2);
})(tos.split(':').reverse());
window.pageTracker ? pageTracker._trackEvent('Time', 'Log', tos) : _gaq.push(['_trackEvent', 'Time', 'Log', tos]);
}, 2000);
})('00');

</script>

The result is when you look at a page with the Tag Assistant, each 2 seconds of a visit, an event is recorded .

Google provides advice about what to do to improve the landing page here : link

You could also test the loading time of the landing page, if it has large images, a big loading time of over 3-4 seconds could make a user change his mind. This is a good tool for testing : link

Unfortunately only testing can show you which combination of factors really improved the status of the landing page, there is no "grandmother's recipe" to achieve the best status Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Curiouss,

I would say that adding time on page would not increase QS directly but it is a sign of user behavior on your site.

First, I think it's important to understand that an 'Average' rating is not detrimental to your QS. https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2404197?hl=en - Run through these items if you're looking for ideas on how to improve the experience for your users.

It sounds like you have CTA's that are not being executed as you hoped and there could be many reasons behind this behavior. I would start reviewing your KW selection and see if you can determine better the intent of the users based on the search queries used. The idea here is trying to capture the most relevant users and once at your site, provide them with a great experience.

Sometimes, you'll get visitors that are not yet ready to 'pull the trigger' and sign up right away and this is where a remarketing campaign with a more enticing message can potentially help you gather more customers.

Just a couple of ideas...

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Curiouss, It looks like you are asking two questions. I'll try to answer both.

Does adding more time on site increase quality score?
No. Google doesn't use conversion data or time on site in the quality score.

What can i do to increase my landing page experience?
This is an age old question that we are always asking ourselves. The best answer is to test it. You can use the Google Analytics Content Experiments ( https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1745147?hl=en ) or something paid like Optimizely ( https://www.optimizely.com/ ).

There really isn't a difference between an average landing page and an above average landing page, in regards to quality score, but obviously, the better your landing page, the better you'll convert.

From AdWords, "Above average or Average: If you see either of these two statuses, you're in good shape – your Quality Score won't be negatively affected by your landing page experience."
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2404197?hl=en

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Ok i added the java the way you advised... is there anyway to check if its working properly?

I received a 79/100, everything was green except this:

Your page has 6 blocking script resources and 4 blocking CSS resources. This causes a delay in rendering your page.
Compressing resources with gzip or deflate can reduce the number of bytes sent over the network.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

If you allow mobile visits, maybe the loading page on the mobiles is slower if you do not have a special page for those.

It would be a good idea to create a simpler mobile landing page to work on a small screen and use the value track ifmobile / ifnotmobile to redirect visits as described here :

http://adwords.blogspot.ro/2013/03/new-valuetrack-parameters-for-enhanced.html

Remarketing is a very good idea too. I suppose you are using a Search campaign so you could remarket also in search to the non-converting visitors. A very neat feature of the RLSA audiences is that they collect organic visitors too and you can remarket to them too.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
If thats true, how do i bring a 6/10 or 7/10 to a 9/10.. or 10/10. Is it really all about click through rate? If so why dont we all just put FREE or something in our ads. Google wants the clicks, and if we give them to them.... we get them cheaper.... The strange part is the balance of making our ads too inticing and getting "browsers" vs. buyers, but at the same time if you scare off "browsers" your paying a premium on clicks vs. a competitor.....