AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Does adding more keywords to one adgroup raise cost per click?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Sorry may be a bit confusing... im new and figured i wanted to start and make everything very targeted... ofcoarse its hard to get traffic that way..

Initially i started like this (example, not actual words)

make an ad group called

adgroup:  find cats

keyword: [find cats]

Ad: 

Trying to Find Cats?

We have over 6,000 cats

Come and Find Your Cat Today

My conversion ratio was high, quality score 10/10 and everything was great but barely traffic...

So then i said ok let me add the keyword: [find cat] and [finding cats]

now obviously the ad isnt as targeted, the words dont match etc.... this lowered my adgroup "find cats" ..... also their quality score was not as high

Does this hurt my first keyword of [find cats] & the entire adgroup now because i added these less performing phrase?

Should i add less performing keywords to important ones that are converting well? I'm just not sure what to do it seems if i sit there and manually make 50 separate adgroups, target 50 exact match keywords, 50 separate ads for those keywords, 50 separate landing pages.... my ads can outperform all competitors... but it takes forever... and its only exact match...

Im realizing i will need some sort of broad match but kind of scared to jump into that right now as ive seen many many clicks on an old campaign for different project and no leads.

My first day i had about 4 clicks... and 3 signups... and i have an intense sign up age but seemed to work/make sense.

I understand how to work with a few exact match keywords, create great landing pages to match my ad/keyword, but im totally lost on how to scale this now without blowing money.

Some experts have told me put in $4k for a month, run it on broad match for major keywords and then at the end of month take all the bad ones out that didnt get signups by adding the bad terms to negative keywords... that strategy makes sense... but i would obviously rather not just waste money/clicks for data.

Re: Does adding more keywords to one adgroup raise cost per click?

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

"now obviously the ad isnt as targeted"

Work , Work , Work... make more ad groups, write more ads. No effort, no gain.

50 separate ads for those keywords ? No : there is a solution for that, it is called DKI , or Dynamic Key Insertion, read about the usage here 

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454041

50 separate landing pages ? No : dynamic landing pages with the usage of keyword variable, read about the technique here 

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Improve-results/Dynamic-landing-page-which-changes-as-per-th...

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Set-up-and-basics/Is-landing-page-dynamic-insertion-permitte...

make 50 separate adgroups, target 50 exact match keywords ? If the keywords are different , Yes 50 ad groups, if they are related, group them 4-5 per Group.

You already will work a couple of hours to add keywords , why not invest in the same amount for ad groups ? How much work is there ? 5 min per ad groups = 5 x 50 = 250 min = 4 hours ?

Why test with broad for a month, just use phrase matches or modified broad with + in front of keywords , and study every day the analytics data, in order to add negatives every day. You can use the "Day parts" Report to view new typed search queries every hour.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I have heard of DKI..... makes sense... i will look into that.

1) Currently all of my headlines are set as H1 tags.

a) does google ppc even care about that?

b) if so.... will google still pick up h1 headlines if theyre being inserted dynamically?  so <h1>DYK</h1> is that going to work/

Adrian B wrote:

Why test with broad for a month, just use phrase matches or modified broad with + in front of keywords , and study every day the analytics data, in order to add negatives every day. You can use the "Day parts" Report to view new typed search queries every hour.

so right now im doing exact match like

[find cat]

[find cats] 

but i know there are many variations of things im missing like:

[find cats in new york]

[find cats for sale]

What about ones like these below... wouldent i have to run broad match because it is now spiting the phrase up?

[find black cats]

[find white cats]

[find skinny cats]

in order to capture those automatically i should use phrase match with DKI so the phrase would be like [find cats <DKI>]

Is that what phrase match will do?

Also what happens if the ad is too long because of DKI? How does the ad deal with that?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Curiouss
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

1)a Why would you waste character spaces with h1 tags in a headline ? That might count for SEO on page, but not for ads in adwords . If someone else has an input about this, please write , it's a grey zone for me, i cannot point to yes or no on this issue.

2) Why 2 keywords for plural on exact match ? 

"With exact match, your ads can appear when someone searches for your exact keyword, without any other terms in the search. We'll also show your ad when someone searches for close variations of that specific keyword." .... That means feminine/masculine and plural... i think.

So no sense to use [find cats]  , just [find cat] , unless you have checked the settings box in the campaign, that stops finding "close variations"

Also what happens if the ad is too long because of DKI? How does the ad deal with that? The use of DKI specifies using a default text for these exceptions. As the wonderful help page tells us : "Here's the snippet of code that you'll use: {keyword:default text} ..... Headline: Buy {keyword:Chocolate} "

What about ones like these below...  , use BMM broad match modifier for those , they will all match to +find +cats

It's Magic ! Maybe your 50 keyword list can become a 10 BMM keyword list.

Learn from here about it 

http://www.google.com/ads/innovations/bmm.html

After all it seems that you are willing to push your limits to achieve your goals, keep up the curious spirit and you will get far

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

2) i didnt realize that i will delete any plural exact matches, thanks.

The use of DKI specifies using a default text for these exceptions. As the wonderful help page tells us : "Here's the snippet of code that you'll use: {keyword:default text} ..... Headline: Buy {keyword:Chocolate} "

....hmm doesnt sound like that would work out well.

i am confused for sure... so much to learn. i think i have mastered the exact match but anything past that im lost.. will read as much as i can here thank you for help.

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I use a lot Broad Match Modifier and search for negatives every day.

If i find interesting long phrases used by people , in the "matched search query reports" i use the main words in those phrases in the form of BMM also, because there is a great chance they will be repeated queries. The more words the keywords has, the cheaper it becomes to bid on. 

There is also an optimisation of restricting visitors to a location of interest for the particular business , instead of leaving the entire country to click on the ads.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello, did you manage to improve your campaign setup to a manageable set of keywords ? Just wanted to let you know that you can learn using AdWords editor for bulk changes across such large campaigns.